Christie

Lilac Teapot- Is It Real?

I have several pieces of Lilac Fiestaware that I purchased new and a fairly extensive collection of Fiestaware. I feel like I have a good sense of what is true fiesta and what is not.

Just the other day I bought a lilac teapot at an estate sale for a song! Now, it looks exactly like my 2 other teapots (not lilac), same size, etc., but there is not a stamp or any kind of mark on the bottom of the teapot. It is exactly the same color as my other lilac fiesta pieces. Do pieces ever come out of the factory without a stamp or marking? Except for the lack of a trademark I would swear this is fiestaware. Does anyone else have any input that might clear this up for me?

Thanks

Hi Christie

There are two types of teapots: the small "2 cup teapot" and the large one. This is the large size.

Does it look like this? If there is no HLC backstamp, I would be skeptical...

teapot.jpg

It looks exactly like that. Thats why I am wondering if it is real or a really good fake. It is the larger size teapot. I have both sizes, so I am sure of that. I would show a photo of it, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload it. :huh:

If someone can help with telling me how to post a picture I will!

Christie:

Here's a photo I just took of my persimmon teapot. That's the Fiesta backstamp. If it's not there, I'll bet its a knockoff. Note too the series of rings on the bottom, as well as along the edge of the lid, and on the inside of the handle. That style is just as important as the color glaze. Let us know what the final verdict is. And thanks for posting! -Steve

teapot1.jpg

Understand the quality and producion of Fiesta was not always the best and still is not. In fact we are told by our rep that there is no specific quality control at homer Laughlin and bad pieces are removed as employees see them. So what I am say is many times pieces might have to much glaze on them and hid backstamps or the stamps might be light due to producion tempiture. Hollow ware such as the teapots, vases, disk pictures are pured solid and then turned before it all hardens and the liquid clay is dumped out. Humidity is what determines the time frame many times and thats what makes some of the potters so good at their job, they now when to turn them. AQlthough Lilac is the most expensive color I really haven't seen much conterfeit stuff but there is always the first. My quess is this pice is just a badly sprayed or made item but still very collectable.

My 2 cents

Bob

Fiestawarehouse

Christie:

Here's a photo I just took of my persimmon teapot. That's the Fiesta backstamp. If it's not there, I'll bet its a knockoff. Note too the series of rings on the bottom, as well as along the edge of the lid, and on the inside of the handle. That style is just as important as the color glaze. Let us know what the final verdict is. And thanks for posting! -Steve

teapot1.jpg

Does the stamp on this red/orange teapot show that this piece is vintage?