Guest natalie4937

Fiesta Ivory Footed Salad Bowl?

Guest natalie4937

I just acquired a large amount (120 pieces) of Fiesta, Riviera and Harlequin pottery. One of the pieces is a large bowl that looks like the Fiesta footed salad bowl. It measures 11 3/8 inches on the diameter and 5 1/2 inches tall. But, it doesn't have any fiesta markings. I don't see that Riviera or Harlequin made a bowl this large. Do all Fiestaware pieces have a mark? Does anyone have any idea who made this bowl? Below are some links to pictures of the bowl. Any information about the bowl and its value are appreciated.

Natalie

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4572967176404&set=oa.10151855552353625&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4572966656391&set=oa.10151855552353625&type=1&theater

Yes m'am! That's a vintage Fiesta footed salad bowl. According to "Fiesta, Harlequin, Kitchen Kraft Dinnerwares (The Homer Laughlin China Collectors Association Guide)" its dimensions are 5-9/16" tall, the diameter of the top rim is 11-3/8", and the diameter of the bottom pedestal is 5-3/4". What a great piece! Here's a quote from the book:

It's not the tallest Fiesta piece, or the heaviest or widest, but it is a very large bowl and one of the most sought after items in the line. Priced at $2.25 in 1936 it was a big piece for the money. This bowl was introduced and discontinued along with the 9-12" nappie, but they are much harder to find than that bowl. No doubt this is due to the relative few sold when they were in production. Yellow ones are reportedly the most elusive. This bowl was also used in the Fiesta Tom and Jerry set and can be found with hand-applied gold band decorations on the rim and foot, and "Tom & Jerry" stamped in gold on the side.

Another jiggered piece, this one has two known variations. It seems early bowls had a foot that was cast separately and hand applied, like the 12" comport. These apparently proved unstable and the design was changed. Indications are that the problem was related to the foot coming off the bowl in the bisque stage. At least one of these, minus its foot, was glazed in cobalt and made it into a collector's hands. There is a narrow band of rings on the inside edge of the bowl, which stop about 1.5" from the rim. This type has an in-mold "Fiesta/HLC USA" mark.

The second variety has a much thicker foot, which appears to be hand turned. That is, it was made as part of the bowl and was shaped by hand after the bowl was removed from the mold. The inner ring pattern descends 2" into the bowl from the rim and the rings are more widely spaced compared to the other type. These bowls are usually marked with the "Genuine Fiesta" backstamp.

Both types will have three imperfections in the center of the completely glazed foot. This is due to the tripod stilt used in the glazing kiln.

Check the dimensions carefully and examine the rings as described, If that all checks out, I don't think you need to worry about the absence of a backstamp. All the same, though, I wish you would post a photo of the bottom of the piece.

As to value, "the book" states a value of $360-385 for the ivory bowl. Very nice.

Thank you for the confirmation on the bowl. Out of all the pieces it is one of my favorites. I want to be clear about the lack of markings. So some Feista won't have a stamp or an impression on the bottom? I'm planning on selling most of the pieces and don't want to misrepresent them. I also have several other pieces that I think are Fiesta, but they aren't marked. I have what I believe to be a 15 inch chop plate in cobalt blue. It looks exactly like the one pictured in my book, but no Feista markings. Plus what looks to be a 13 inch chop plate in turquoise and some smaller pieces.

The book I quoted from yesterday ("Fiesta, Harlequin, Kitchen Kraft Dinnerwares") has relevant information about unmarked Fiesta. If you intend to collect or deal in Fiesta, I highly recommend that you get this book. Amazon.com has it, and whether you buy it new or used, it's really worth having. See http://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-Harlequin-Kitchen-Kraft-Dinnerwares/dp/0764311484/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366682734&sr=1-1&keywords=fiesta%2C+harlequin%2C+kitchen+kraft+dinnerwares

In the section discussing the 13" chop plates, it reads as follows:

Once the design of the Fiesta plate was finished, it was fairly easy for the modeling shop to create variations in different sizes. Round serving platters were used for serving "steaks and chops", thus the name for this one. The 13" plate was original to the line and was made until 1969.

Made by jiggering, the plates changed very little over the years. There are slight variations in the pattern or number of rings in the center of the foot, which may identify the individual jigger machines. Like all plates, this one was marked with the "Genuine Fiesta" backstamp, but some occasionally missed being marked. Missing backstamps should have no effect on a plate's appeal to collectors. All vintage Fiesta plates have a glazed foot and three sagger pin marks in the glaze on the bottom.

The missing backstamp issue mentioned above applies to many Fiesta pieces, not just the 13" chop plates.

I wish you success in selling your Fiesta. It sounds as if you have some nice vintage pieces.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I purchased a book about Fiestaware, but I don't think it is as informative as the one you recommended. I will be purchasing it. I do have a nice collection, and it has some nice hard to find pieces like the relish tray, the bowl, and others. I love the old pottery and look forward to learning more about it.