Sign in to follow this  
nana8915

Set Of Frankoma Plates, Saucers Have A 5 Imprinted

I have a set of Frankoma pottery that has a 5 and letters on each piece. They are mostly tan with a light gold circle on some of them, and Dark Brown around the edges. What pattern is this and how to find more of it? Can it be used for everyday?

Pieces from the dinnerware pattern known as "Plainsman" are marked with the numeral 5. The letters that follow indicate what the piece is; e.g. 5A is a creamer, 5B is a sugar with lid, etc. The light brown glaze you describe is most certainly Desert Gold. Families have used these dishes as everyday dishes for decades. You should be able to easily find pieces in Plainsman pattern on eBay.

Let me know if you have questions.

Pieces from the dinnerware pattern known as "Plainsman" are marked with the numeral 5. The letters that follow indicate what the piece is; e.g. 5A is a creamer, 5B is a sugar with lid, etc. The light brown glaze you describe is most certainly Desert Gold. Families have used these dishes as everyday dishes for decades. You should be able to easily find pieces in Plainsman pattern on eBay.

Let me know if you have questions.

The only thing I can add is that the color of desert gold varies a great deal with the exact date of manufacture. If it really is a dark brown around the edges, it might be a 60's piece when Frankoma was using the dark red clay. I'd need to see pictures of the top and bottoms to be sure.

The point is that if you're trying to match them, it's not enough to know the pattern and color. You also have to look at the year of manufacture (or carefully look at the pictures on the auction to see if the items match).

You can use them for every day - and they're not terribly valuable, so the risk is minimal. I would, however, suggest not storing acidic food in them for a long period of time. Also, if you wash them in the dishwasher, make sure to load it carefully so they don't bump into each other.