iowasongbird

Seeking Glaze Information

Hello all!

I am fairly new to the world of Frankoma collecting. About a year ago, I began selling vintage cookware & dinnerware on eBay. The result has been lots of trips to thrift stores & flea markets to find treasures to resell. In the process, I discovered & fell in love with Frankoma! I have been collecting purely with my eyes & heart - if I like a piece, I buy it. There has been very little rhyme or reason to it. My collection has become large enough that its designated display area is cluttered, so I am thinking that I may need to sell a few pieces to make room for new ones. My dilemma is that I know very little about the pottery. The thing I am most eager to learn is how to identify the glazes (color photos & names). I know there are some collectors' books out there, but would love a recommendation as to which one is the best to start with. Also, any other websites I can add to my favorites list would be helpful.

I have read through a few of the forum topics and it seems that you all are a very helpful bunch. Hopefully you can help me out too!

Thanks!

Bethany

You can go a long way towards becoming, if not a Frankoma Expert, at least Very Knowledgeable with the help of this book: "Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery 1933 through 1990, Identifying Your Collection including Gracetone" by Gary V. Schaum. While it does not cover every piece of Frankoma ever made, especially the newer pieces (which are not as valuable) It is by far the most comprehensive book on the subject of Frankoma. It also has many fine photos, a time line for the glazes, some history and more.

I started my Frankoma collection the same way you describe starting yours. I bought what I liked, knowing nothing about the pieces. As a result, I have quite a few fairly worthless pieces I don't think I'll ever be able to sell. But I liked Frankoma so much that I wanted to learn more. So I bought the Schaum book. It was still in print then (it's been out of print for several years, but you can still buy it on amazon.com and it's being sold on eBay, too).

Thank you so much for your reply! That book sounds like just what I'm looking for. :) I have seen that one, along with a few others, and just wondered which one was the best to invest in first.

Thanks again!

After more searching, I have found this book with a yellow cover and a pink cover. I am assuming that one is earlier than the other. Do you know if one is better than the other?

Thanks! :)

There are also some useful sites on the web. One of my favorites is http://www.frankomacollector.com/Index.html. They don't have a separate page for glazes, but they do have an index of different molds and also lots of pictures so you can see samples of many of the glazes.

Here's one that does have a listing of glaze colors:
https://sites.google.com/site/madrushn/

Good luck.

Thank you both, so much!!

Joe, I appreciate the websites. It truly is amazing how much information is available online, as long as you know where to look. :) I'm anxious to be able to identify my favorite piece. It's a cream pitcher, in lighter clay (orangish, not white, but it doesn't change color when wet). The ID# is 87A, and the glaze is a pretty mottled purple & pink (more purple than the picture of Red Bud). The is stamped with Frankoma, fairly small, in blocky letters. I haven't seen another piece in that color, so I'm intrigued.

I ordered my book last night - now I just have to be patient... Not always an easy task for me! LOL

Once I get my collection sort of figured out, I will post some pictures.

Thanks again!

Thank you both, so much!!

Joe, I appreciate the websites. It truly is amazing how much information is available online, as long as you know where to look. :) I'm anxious to be able to identify my favorite piece. It's a cream pitcher, in lighter clay (orangish, not white, but it doesn't change color when wet). The ID# is 87A, and the glaze is a pretty mottled purple & pink (more purple than the picture of Red Bud). The is stamped with Frankoma, fairly small, in blocky letters. I haven't seen another piece in that color, so I'm intrigued.

I ordered my book last night - now I just have to be patient... Not always an easy task for me! LOL

Once I get my collection sort of figured out, I will post some pictures.

Thanks again!

87A was a creamer (round). Ordinarily, I'd say that if it's orange that it's more likely to be Sapulpa clay, but that pitcher was made only until 1952 and most pieces in that era were Ada clay (depending on which source you believe, Frankoma may have been experimenting with Sapulpa clay as early as the late 40s, but only a very few sample pieces).

One thing you'll find is that there are a wide range of color variations in Frankoma pieces. One Redbud piece can look very different from another one. I can't think of any purple colors in use at the time. It might possibly be desert rose, but I'd bet on redbud. Once you post pictures, it will be easier to tell.