Sign in to follow this  
sarah-knits

'stamp' On Bottom Of Salt Shaker

I'm new to collecting Fiesta Dinnerware, but found a set of supposedly 'vintage' salt and pepper shakers. I was informed that they're the origninal red and turquoise, but the 'red' one really seems much to orange for that to be true.

565441_516188805071542_1562569991_n.jpg?

The 'red'/orange one also has something stamped into the underside of the base - it appears to be '77' or maybe even '7Z'? From what I've read online, I was under the impression that shakers would have no markings of any kind...

711044_516188725071550_1074461444_n.jpg?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! (and sorry for the HUGE pictures - I can't see to figure out how to make them smaller here)

The original vintage red used by the Homer Laughlin China Company in Fiesta and other lines of its dishes (Riviera, for instance) was more orange than red. Your photograph looks like vintage Fiesta "red" to me. And it is true that the salt/pepper shakers were not marked -- routinely. However, lots of oddities are produced in pottery factories. Before the pieces are passed through the kiln, they are vulnerable to marks caused by accidental contact.