pastperfect

Virginia Rose Pattern Variation In Kitchenware

Hi, all--I just came across a HLC mixing bowl-K52N8, which I guess makes it a Virginia Rose shape, but the decal doesn't match any I've seen. (bowl dimensions are 10 1/4" diameter x 5 5/8" high.) The flowers in the main decal are predominately yellow with a few pale blue smaller ones. The leaves are green or red or blue-gray. All the colors are rather soft pastels, I don't know if that's from fading or original, though the red trim line around the top seems pretty bright. Here's a url to a photo of the pattern:

http://pastperfect.shutterfly.com/pictures

Thanks for any help/ml

Thank you for posting to our message board, PastPerfect! I personally do not know very much about Virginia Rose - except seeing it at various antique malls - I hope someone on our message board can answer your question.

Keep in touch,

Steve Labinski

Austin, TX

Ah, yes. The decal dilemma. Back in the day when HLC had many shapes in production, it was fairly common to swap decals around from shape to shape. And if that didn't complicate things enough, clever designers sometimes scissored elements from two or more decals to produce a third unique decal. Therefore, do not be distressed if your piece does not have the decal you're accustomed to seeing on Virginia Rose.

The best reference I've found for identification of and information about HLC dishes and the company itself is "Homer Laughlin: Decades of Dinnerware." It's very comprehensive. It's also huge, weighing in at about 10 pounds, and fairly pricey, but worth every penny if you're a collector of HLC dishes. Amazon.com has it here: http://www.amazon.com/Homer-Laughlin-Decades-Dinnerware-Price/dp/1889977136/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355246609&sr=1-1&keywords=decades+of+dinnerware

The book shows every shape ever produced by HLC, as well as hundreds of photos of various decals, even those with names that have been forgotten. (For instance, I own almost an entire set of Century-shape dishes. I was able to find my dishes' decal in the book, and it was identified only with a letter and number -- no name. I'm sure it had a name when it was produced back in the 30s, but HLC's records are scanty in certain areas. Considering the incredible number of patterns and shapes the company has produced, estimated to be in the tens of thousands, it's pretty amazing their record keeping is as good as it is.