dscnm

Parrot Vase Mold #

Can anyone tell me anything about a deco-style vase with parrots. It's Ada clay. stamped Frankoma with the really round "o". The glaze is turquoisey blue with speckles, is that robin's egg blue?

It's my favorite and I've had it for decades, but it's the only one I've ever seen. I grew up in Oklahoma and having my Frankoma around makes me happy :blush:

I'm including a link to my website with a picture...

Christensen Photography

Wow! That's a great piece of Frankoma. I believe it is the #85 Bird Handled Vase produced from 1936 to 1942, but I'm confused about the vintage of yours. If your vase has the perfectly round "O" Frankoma mark, that means it was made between 1934 and 1938. However, the glaze in your photo appears to be early turquoise, which doesn't make sense because turquoise was not used until 1942. (Robins Egg Blue, by the way, is a much later glaze used from 1979 to 1992.) The only glazes that it could be that were used during the 1934-38 period are Jade Green and Blue-Grey Jade, and your photo really does not look like either. In any case, book value on the #85, regardless of color, with the round "O" is $175-200.

To complicate things further, there is another very similar vase with the same mold number (go figure) called the Cockatoo Vase. It was produced from 1934 to 1936. The features that most differentiate it from the Bird Handled vase are (1) its size (it's 5-1/4" tall while the Bird Handled Vase is 5" tall), and (2) the presence of two little tabs on either end of the vase (above each bird) that project above the top rim. The flowers in your photo obscure this area, so I cannot be completely sure. Book value on the Cockatoo Vase is higher at $250-300.

Either way, this is a gorgeous piece, and you have every right to be very proud of it. If you have a photo showing the top ends of the vase, I could be absolutely certain of which vase you have, but the color issue is still a mystery. The glaze in your photo really looks more like early Turquoise than any other Frankoma glaze I'm familiar with, but photos can be slightly off. Also, occasionally you get a piece that doesn't conform to the rules and "has no right to be the color it is."

I hope you'll take a peek under those lovely flowers and let me know what's there.

I took another look at your vase. It could also be the Silver Sage glaze but, again, that is inconsistent with the round "O" because Silver Sage was used only in 1942. I'm intrigued.