Hi,

I have just inherited a fairly large collection of Fiestaware. I know they are old pieces because the ladies they came from are in their 80's. My question is, does the back of each piece have to be signed or labeled in order to be authentic? Some of the pieces are, and some aren't, I'm confused. Any imput from the knowledgable would be appreciated. Thanks, Diane

No they do not have to be marked to be Fiesta. Early items were not collables like we have today but really the cheaper dishes that became wanted. Fieats in other words was not fine china of thir day. They were not always concerened about back stamps and such but were more interested in using the items. If you want to e-mail me pictures I can try to help you ID some stuff.

Bob

Fiestawarehouse

Hi all..I am new to this board and a new Fiesta Fanatic :mango: my question in reguards to the Signiture on the backs of Fiesta..

I am in the process of buying my Fiesta on ebay and other sites that have complets place settings. I have a 4 pc place setting with both the imprint and a black stamp claiming to be Fiesta..is the one with the black stamp genuine fiesta? and I also have a couple of pieces that look to be fiesta but the stamp is different..please help :wub: I just hope that these pictures come out clear enough for you to see what I am talking about..

Fiestapnt.jpg

Auggie --

I may be able to help you some, but the subject of Homer Laughlin backstamps and inscribed marks is complex because so many different marks have been used on Fiesta over the years.

For starters, all the pieces in your photos appear to be genuine Fiesta, the only possible exception being the bowl in the upper right corner. I just can't make out the markings. Also, the unglazed "foot" of both the gray bowls (at least I think they are gray) appears to be pink. It should, of course, be white, but the pink is probably due to the lighting in those particular photos.

The black backstamp is most certainly a genuine Fiesta backstamp. It appears on most contemporary pieces. Pieces bearing both the black backstamp and the inscribed markings are common because many pieces currently being manufactured are made from molds that have been around for years. The inscribed markings are part of those molds.

If you want to educate yourself on the history and full array of Homer Laughlin backstamps and inscribed markings, I can recommend a good book: "Fiesta, Harlequin, Kitchen Kraft Dinnerwares, A Schiffer Book for Collectors." It is the Homer Laughlin China Collectors Association Guide, and is very detailed and complete. It also has excellent photographs that will make any Fiesta lover drool. You can find it on amazon.com.

If you have more questions, ask away.

Thank you very much for your response..the ones that look pink are actually white as you guessed and they are seamist incolor..I dont know why the camera took them like that since i took all the pictures at the same time..thanks for the reccomendation on the book..i will go and look on amazon for it now..