tunisianswife

Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie

6 years ago I was looking for a lemon meringue pie recipe to make for a family fourth of July picnic. I hit the search button and Grandma's Lemon Meringue pie from this site came up on the search as one of the many recipes found. I was interested in how it would taste because it uses flour instead of cornstarch, so I made it. It is THE best!!! I can't believe how creamy of a texture it has by using flour instead of cornstarch. I have used no other recipe since. A coworker of mine mentioned that her favorite pie was lemon meringue. I told her that I had a pie that she would just drool over and made it for her the other day. She was kind enough to share it with our boss while at work and now they are asking for the recipe. Everyone that ever tastes this agrees that it is superior to any they have ever tasted and I tell them where I found it and that it is made with the flour and that is the key. I just wanted to find this site so I could leave feedback because it definitely is deserving of kudos! thank you so much. The only modification that I make is I use the juice from 2 lemons instead of 1.5.

Im wondering what to do with my pie after I have taken it out of the oven,.. should I let it sit on the counter till the next next or should I put it in the fridge for overnight? when I put it in the fridge it normally has song liquid that settles in the place of the piece you removed,.. not a lot,.. but enought to make it kinda soggy,.... help,... confused,.................

phwagert:

I've made Grandma's Lemon Meringue pie recipe many times. I've never had it accumulate enough liquid for it to get soggy. I always let my pie cool completely before doing anything with it, however.

Steve

New member here, realizing this idea add-on is very late from last comment, for those who are (new) and searching for ideas for Lemon Meringue Pie:

My husband, from Lufkin, Tx. (I'm from the "Northern States") is a long time lover of Lemon Meringue pie, using my Mother-In-Laws recipe, very much like the Grandma's Lemon Meringue Pie, I wanted more of the lemon taste.

Using the standard recipe: adding one(1) cap full of lemon flavoring at the last

Meringue: I use powdered sugar, instead of granular, again adding I/2 cap full of Lemon Flavoring

My husband said it was the best he has ever had! Requests it more then I have the time to make!

I've not tried using flour, always cornstarch, but I will give it a go.

I have been using this recipe for years! I think the flour makes a better filling than the cornstarch, You can eat a lemon meringue pie made by someone else and tell wether they used flour or cornstarch. I add a small amont of lemon zest to the meringe after it peaks. Also I have used this same recipe except used Key Limes. It is great!!!

It is wonderful -- the best lemon meringue pie I've ever tasted. It was my mother's recipe, and I don't know where she got it, but it's a keeper.