Sign in to follow this  
Guest DonaldJayCole

Red Beans

Guest DonaldJayCole

I live in Ohio. I enjoy eating red beans. The only place I can find a red bean is in boxed dinners. I look around the local grocery stores and find lentels, navy, great northern, kidney, pinto, black, black eyed, lima, and baby lima beans.(dried of course) However, try as I may, I cannot find dried red beans. There have been suggestions that perhaps the red bean is really kidney beans but I don't believe so. Can anyone tell me about red beans? Can anyone direct me to a location from which I can purchase red beans? It is impossible to find dried garbonzo beans, as well.

Thanks,

DonaldJayCole

I too live in Ohio and as far as the garbanzo beans...I use only the dried because it is much more cost effective. I purchase them in Kroger's and any other grocery store for that matter. You can also find them to be plentiful in most all middle eastern stores if there is one near you. They are always found in the section with the other dried beans in the bags. I boil water and soak mine overnight, and then boil the next day. I like to freeze them in ziplock bags and toss them into recipes that I use. I find that garbanzos although small, need alot of cooking time, thus the reason I soak them overnight in the water I've boiled. As far as the red beans, I have always wondered the same thing....I lived in New Orleans for a while and if there is a difference, I really can't tell. Sorry I couldn't help you with the red beans question.