skdraper

Chicken And Dumplings

Does Anyone have Amy Vanderbilt's Chicken and Dumpling Recipe?

I have an Amy Vanderbuilt Cookbook but it was copywrited in 1961 and I have looked for your chicken & dumpling recipe and there isn't one in my book. Could it be called something else?

Always,

Suzie Q

I have that 1961 edition, too (makes me wonder just how many 1961 cookbooks are still in use), and I did find the recipe skdraper might be thinking of. It's called ...

MILDRED LANGROCK'S CHICKEN FRICASSEE

• 4 to 4-1/2 pound fowl, cut in frying pieces

• Flour

• Salt, pepper, paprika

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 onion, peeled and minced

• 1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed

• 1 to 1-1/2 cups water

• 1 cup commercial sour cream

• 3 eggs

• 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour

• 1-1/2 quarts boiling salted water

Rinse chicken in cold running water, drain, and pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle pieces with flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Heat butter in Dutch oven or heavy kettle. Brown chicken, onion and garlic together lightly. Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups water, just enough to cover. Cover pot and simmer about 2 hours or until chicken is tender. Add more water if needed. Add sour cream stir into pan juices. Add dumplings and serve.

Make these special dumplings while chicken cooks. Break eggs and beat slightly. Use half eggshell as measure and add 3 half-shells of water to beaten eggs. Add flour, mixing steadily, until mixture is soft dough, just right for dropping from spoon. Drop by spoonful into rapidly boiling (salted) water. Let cook 3 to 5 minutes or until dumplings are done. Test for doneness. Remove dumplings from boiling water with slotted spoon. Drain and add to chicken pot. Spoon some of sauce in pot over dumplings and serve. Makes 6 servings.

Sounds a lot like chicken and dumplings to me. Incidentally, I found the recipe by looking in the index for "dumplings."