Sign in to follow this  
labinski

National Hot Dog Month News

July is National Hot Dog Month, and Dr. John discusses the subject in this month's article Hot Dauchsund: Sausage on a Roll Here is additional collected news:

Sauerkraut is Healthiest Topping for 150 Million Hot Dogs To Be Eaten on July 4th

FREMONT, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 1, 2005--Sauerkraut is the healthiest topping for hot dogs, which will be consumed in record numbers by millions of Americans this July 4th weekend. According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council Americans will eat 150 million hot dogs on July 4th and 2 billion hot dogs during the month of July. Sauerkraut is high in antioxidant cancer fighting compounds, fiber, vitamins, calcium and minerals.

Finnish researchers reported that fermenting cabbage produces compounds known as isothiocyanates, shown in laboratory studies to prevent the growth of cancer. Fermentation actually enhances its protective effects. Glucosinolates in sauerkraut activate the body's antioxidant enzymes, and flavonoids protect artery walls from oxidative damage. This study was published in the October 23, 2002 Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

"Many people associate Sauerkraut with Oktoberfest, however July is actually one of the biggest months for the food. Health conscious consumers are beginning to realize that sauerkraut is actually on of the healthiest foods they can eat, and you'll see it being used in an increasing number of recipes as awareness increases. Even supermodels like Heidi Klum are making it part of their diet, so the rest of the country is bound to follow her lead," says Chris Smith, VP of marketing for the Fremont Company, one of the United States' leading producers of sauerkraut.

The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, published by the United States Department of Agriculture, recommends a minimum of five servings of fruits and vegetables per day, especially those rich in naturally occurring substances, including antioxidants, flavonoids and vitamins.

Mmmm! I love sauerkraut. Some of the best I've had was at a Polish wedding many years ago. It had tomatoes and onions in it and was lightly sweetened with brown sugar? (I think) and served with sausages. Wonderful and a nice change from plain sauerkraut.

Of course, sauerkraut was something I hated as a kid. It didn't smell too good out of the can or being cooked. Plus I didn't like the way it looked :D . Hey, that's what kids do. But somewhere along life's way, I tried it and fell in love. Nice to know it's so good for you too. I have a recipe for homemade sauerkraut, but have never tried it. I wonder if it's much different than the canned or jarred variety. Anyone know if there's much difference in the taste between homemade and store bought sauerkraut?

Guest riverview recipes

Not a lot of difference between store bought and from scratch. Try this if

you like sauerkraut. My mother's world famous recipe.

Spareribs (as many as you like or your roaster can hold) depends how big

your family is.

Add equal amounts of sauerkraut with the juice to the pan. Rule of thumb is

to spoon around the sides of the ribs to the edge of the pan, not too tall of a layer.

Add some water (from a measuring cup just a little to dilute). Sprinkle with

red pepper flakes.

Bake in covered roaster at 350 degrees for at least an hour and a half or until

tender. Test to make sure it's done.

These ribs will literally fall off the bone. You can turn the oven down and keep

them warm. My mother used to strain the juice and add to some hot buttered mashed potato. What a great home-cooked meal.

It was traditional to always have this on New Year's day. My father was German and sauerkraut and ribs on New Year's Day meant good luck.

From

Riverview Recipes

Enjoy :D