karen rosendall

I Need Help About The Mexican 3 Milk Cake

hi i have a question about the Mexican 3 milk cake, i really want to make this for my sons girlfriends birthday that is only a couple weeks away. she say this cake is her favorite, but she said this cake had a filling, is this cake easy to slice to layer filling? and the filling she talked about i believe she said it was strawberry with nuts for the filling. does anyone have any ideas for me? please let me know thank you so much you can email me too. karenrosendall@gmail.com

I have not researched this at all, but I do not think Tres Leches cake would work well as a layer cake, and I'll tell you why. First, take a look at the recipe:

Tres Leches Cake

• 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter

• 2 cups white sugar (divided)

• 5 eggs

• 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (divided)

• 1 cup milk

• Half of a 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

• Half of a 12-ounce can evaporated milk

• 1/3 cup liqueur (Frangelico, Brandy or Chambord, for example; optional)

• 1-1/2 cups heavy (whipping) cream

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
When cake has finished baking, pierce it in 15 or more places with a fork or skewer, and let it cool. Combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk and liqueur and pour over the top of the cooled cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Whipped Cream Topping
:
When ready to serve, combine the whipping cream and the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of sugar, whipping until thick. Spread over top of cake. Because of the milk in the cake, it is very important that you keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve chilled.

As you can see, this recipe is intended for a 9x13-inch pan. After the cake is baked, 15 or more small holes are made with a fork or skewer, and the three milks, along with the liqueur (a total of 25 ounces or over 4 cups), is poured over the cake and allowed to soak in.

Therefore, Tres Leches Cake is extremely moist and quite heavy. If it were made in two layers, I imagine that gravity alone would cause the liquid in the top layer to find its way down to the first layer and/or pool around the sides of the cake.

This is a great cake, and it is loved by so many. If you do find a two-layer version that works for you, I hope you'll come back here and share it with us.

Here is a link to our article about Tres Leches Cake: http://www.texascooking.com/features/sept2002treslechescakerecipe.htm

thank you so much, thats what i was worried about, she cant remember the name of the cake but she did say it had 3 different milks in it so im thinking its this one.

i plan on making it still, but ill search some more and see what i can find out if i find anything ill be sure to post it. thank you again.

hi thank you i replied to your help but think i did it wrong. but i was thinking it would be too heavy. but i did find a recipe that says you can slice in half and add fruit and nuts. soo im going to give it a go and try ;~) ill just fridge it over night then the day of ill slice it and layer it with strawberries and nuts. wish me luck. here is where i found it. whatscookingmexico.com/2008/03/14/tres-leches-cake/ i hope i copied it right. thank you.