lew

Old Chili Recipe

I am looking for an old chili recipe that was in a 1983/84 Bon Appetit magazine. The article, I think it was a cooking class featured a texan chef and his wife doing a texan barbeque with a chili made with beef, pork, lots of chili powder and 'special tomates'. The class also had recipes for slow barbequed mesquite beef brisquet (a WOW recipe), hush puppies and Blue ribbon pinto beans among others. I have mislaid my copy of the magazine and need the chili recipe, if anyone has it.

shirley:

If you are still around, post up the recipe.

I am looking for a kick butt chili recipe for a chili cookoff at DirtWeek this year. The winner (by popular vote) the last two years has been a beef soup recipe by a girl from south of Chicago.

I am thinking about putting up two or three different chili recipes in hopes of educating the plebs that vote.

Tony

If your look'n for a good chilli recipe go to New Mexico and hike around until you bump into a Mexican sheep herder. They started this whole mess.

In the 1860's in Texas and New Mexico chillis, dried corn and jerky was what they carried on their belt or on a donky. Light weight and they could stay out with the sheep for a couple of weeks. They ran a few goats in the herd to milk. I imagine hot goat's milk is almost as good and cold goat's milk and one has to drink both for a while before you will laugh at this very much.

I found this information at High Lonesome Books dot com and the book may have been "Tales from the Bloated Goat," a cafe in Silver City, New Mexico.

Another book, "Recollections of a Western Rancher," tells of a man that lost his foreman during a rustler intensive time and was referred to a guy and his men that cleaned up his problems lickedy split. After this second foreman left, he discovered his true identity, Butch Cassidy.

Lew if you are still out there, I found your Chili recipe from Bon Appetit July 1984 for Sam's Chili. If you still need it post again.

shirley if you still have the sam's chili recipe from last years post would you please post it again

shirley if you still have the sam's chili recipe from last years post would you please post it again

Yes Please - me too.

I've been making this Chili several times a winter - and I lost the recipie sometime around the early 90's. My memory isn't what it used to be and I've forgotten quite a few of the ingredients - but It still comes out good.

I'm not Shirley, but all this talk about chili and the great recipes in the Bon Appetit magazine got me curious. I found the magazine on e-bay and was able to purchase it. I have to agree there are numerous excellent recipes in this issue. I wish I could post the picture of the spread that included hush puppies, hot water cornbread, fried fish, pork ribs, chili, pico de gallo, spinach salad, beef brisket, pinto beans, ice box rolls, blueberry-buttermilk biscuits, and chicken-fried steak with gravy. What a meal! Bon Appetit, July, 1984, recipe for Sam's Chili:

Long simmering brings out the good flavors of this chili. It is best reheated and served the day after it is cooked.

6 to 8 servings

1 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, coarsely ground

1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1 lage onion, chopped

3 large garlic cloves, minced

3 cups beer or water

1 cup Special Tomatoes*

1 8-ounce can tomato sauce

1/2 cup chili powder

1 tablespoon salt

1 tablespoon cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

2 tablespoons instant masa mix combined with 3 tablespoons warm water

Stir both meats, onion and garlic in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Mix in beer, then all remaining ingredients except masa. Cover and simmer until chili is reduced to 12 cups, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours.

Degrease chili. Stir dissolved masa into chili. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Refrigerate overnight to blend flavors. (Can be prepared 5 days ahead.)

*Special Tomatoes

Makes about 1 cup

1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 serrano or jalapeno chili, minced

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in heavy small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Re: the cup of *Special Tomatoes in this recipe. Since it was published Del Monte has come out with Zesty tomatoes w/jalopenas, which sounds pretty much like these. Or better yet--if you love heat :wub: Rotels.