Sign in to follow this  
chrispycreme

Heating A Hot Buttered Rum

I have always heated my hot buttered rum by plunging a hot poker into the glass. Just heating on the stove never tastes the same.

A friend told me my method can be validated by the laws of physics. I am not savvy enough to explain it.

So, what is the consensus? Poker or stove? :wacko:

Well, I hope you knock the ashes off that poker before plunging it into your hot buttered rum.

Physics ain't exactly my cup of tea, but common sense tells me that a hot piece of metal is likely to be a lot hotter than the boiling point of water (212°F). Depending on how hot the poker is -- it could be several hundred degrees -- it's going have a strong effect on the ingredients in your drink -- like, maybe, caramelizing the sugar. That alone could account for a big difference in taste.

I'm curious as to how you learned about this method of heating a drink. I've never heard of it. But, hey, whatever works.

when I first started drinking these, friends told me to use a hot poker. I think you are right about carmelizing the sugar.

In times past, pre-history, the Indians used rocks heated in the fire to boil water by throwning the rocks into the liquid. Guess the same principle applies. And, yeah, get the ashes off first or heat the metal in a clean way.