cmcaninch

Backstamps

I have a large collection of Ada clay, Wagon Wheel, Prairie Green, Frankoma Pottery. I know these pieces are from Ada because my mother bought them from late '40s to early 50's. However, I am still learning the backstamps. Some of hers were "seconds" from the factory and have some shape defects. Any suggestions where to find a comprehensive list of Frankoma backstamps? We have added other pieces as well. So, dating these pieces with just clay color might not be exact.

I have a large collection of Ada clay, Wagon Wheel, Prairie Green, Frankoma Pottery. I know these pieces are from Ada because my mother bought them from late '40s to early 50's. However, I am still learning the backstamps. Some of hers were "seconds" from the factory and have some shape defects. Any suggestions where to find a comprehensive list of Frankoma backstamps? We have added other pieces as well. So, dating these pieces with just clay color might not be exact.

Like most things involving Frankoma, there's really no definitive list - just 'guesstimates' of many items. The best listing is probably in Schaum's book or Bess's book (you can find either on eBay or in the library). Bess's book lists more than Schaum's book, but Schaum's book has pictures.

However, do not take this information as gospel. Frankoma has always been somewhat flexible in things like marks - presumably because molds have a significant lifetime. When they switched from one mold to another (or created a new stamp), it often makes sense to keep using the old ones until they're worn out.