donnamc

Did Frankoma Make A Finger Vase

I found this finger vase recently and although it certainly looks like Frankoma, I cannot identify in any of the catalogs or sites. It has a glazed clay bottom with no markings. It measures 4" tall and 5" across. I have included a link to a couple of pictures of the vase. Click on "Finger Vase" Finger Vase

I've seen a lot of Frankoma, but I've never seen this piece before. Not only that, although the glaze resembles Prairie Green, it looks like a hand-molded piece, rather than a production piece. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that an individual made this. It's always easier to prove that a piece *is* Frankoma than not.

I've seen a lot of Frankoma, but I've never seen this piece before. Not only that, although the glaze resembles Prairie Green, it looks like a hand-molded piece, rather than a production piece. My guess (and it's just a guess) is that an individual made this. It's always easier to prove that a piece *is* Frankoma than not.

You are right about it being hand-molded rather than production. I disagree, however, on the prairie green color. The glaze color is fairly typical of early Ada Prairie Green, but the clay is a darker red (too light to be from the 60's and too dark to be from post 1990). It is possible that the clay might match clay from the late 50's or possibly the 80s, but then the glaze color doesn't match up.

There were a lot of potteries producing prairie green-like colors. In fact, one expert claims that Frankoma got Prairie Green from a North Carolina pottery in the first place.

That also raises the question of whether a one of a kind piece hand molded would count as a Frankoma piece even if it did use authentic Frankoma materials. I would argue that it would not count as Frankoma unless specifically authorized by the company's owner. I think one could stretch the definition of 'Frankoma' to cover pieces made in Frankoma molds with Frankoma materials and then customized by the craftsman ("Happy Birthday Mom"), but if it was made entirely by hand without company approval, I wouldn't consider it to be Frankoma.