Sign in to follow this  
Johnnysgirl

Are My Frankoma Mugs Safe?

I just purchased 8 mugs from EBAY. They say C4 on the bottom and I believe the glaze is Dessert Gold, Aztec pattern. Are they safe for everyday use? Do I need to be concerned about lead poisoning? Also, are they microwave/dishwasher safe?

I just purchased 8 mugs from EBAY. They say C4 on the bottom and I believe the glaze is Dessert Gold, Aztec pattern. Are they safe for everyday use? Do I need to be concerned about lead poisoning? Also, are they microwave/dishwasher safe?

Like every other pottery manufacturer, Frankoma used leaded glazes until the early 90's. The C4 mug was discontinued in 1991, so your mugs probably have lead.

However, just the fact that they have lead does not mean they're unsafe. Some glazes are stable enough that very, very little lead (almost zero) leaches out. Others (typically, the bright colored Mexican and Asian glazes) leach enough lead to be dangerous. See:

http://frankoma.org/faq.htm#leery

Dishwashers are not a problem - HOWEVER, if the dinnerware bangs into other items in the dishwasher, it could break (just as if you hit two pieces together in your hands).

See the following for discussion of microwaves:

Like every other pottery manufacturer, Frankoma used leaded glazes until the early 90's. The C4 mug was discontinued in 1991, so your mugs probably have lead.

However, just the fact that they have lead does not mean they're unsafe. Some glazes are stable enough that very, very little lead (almost zero) leaches out. Others (typically, the bright colored Mexican and Asian glazes) leach enough lead to be dangerous. See:

http://frankoma.org/faq.htm#leery

Dishwashers are not a problem - HOWEVER, if the dinnerware bangs into other items in the dishwasher, it could break (just as if you hit two pieces together in your hands).

See the following for discussion of microwaves: