brucesw

Texas Sausages

I'm a real fan of Texas sausages. I don't eat as much as I used to (trying to cut down on fat and salt) but I still love 'em. It's a big part of our cultural heritage that often seems to get overlooked with all the attention on bbq, Tex-Mex, cfs, etc.

I'll be taking a little road trip soon, heading out from Houston through the Czech belt to Austin/CTex/San Antonio and would like to find some new ones to bring home or sample as part of a meal.

I'm talking about the little known brands, many times available only at one butcher shop or in one small geographical area; they're more interesting to me than the more well known, widely available brands like Chappell Hill, Holmes, Blue Ribbon, etc. (although they're all better than Eckrich, Hillshire Farms, etc.)

Just to let you know what I'm familiar with:

My top BBQ joint sausages - Mueller's (Taylor), Black's (Lockhart), City Market (Luling), Austin's (Eagle Lake) and Boogie's (Houston).

Some of my top meat market sausages: - Kasper's (Weimar), City Market (Schulenberg), Maeker's and Patek's (Shiner) and Guy's (Houston). There are others - Janak's outside Hallettsville, Prasek's (Hillje), Eckermann (New Ulm), V & V (Cistern), J Bar B (Waelder) and probably several I've forgotten to include.

Any recommendations?

Oh yes, Cajun sausages count, too. Anything west of Houston in that genre?

Hey Bruce,

My first post here. Thought I'd chime in and add my 2 cents. I'm like you -- I'm a big fan of Texas sausage, and I enjoy the local varieties. It's amazing to me how you can walk into a butcher shop in a town of, say, 3,000 people, and find maybe a half-dozen different varieties of sausage that are all locally produced. And most all of it is great.

Up in the Czech/German belt you also have Prouse's in LaGrange. They're on the town square. I'm pretty sure they make their own sausage. There's also Slovacek's -- I think they may be out of San Antone, and Prasek's that's also good. My spelling might be a bit iffy on those names.

As for Louisiana sausage, here in Houston, there's a place on North Post Oak called Louisiana Foods. They have a retail counter but also wholesale to local restaurants -- especially seafood. But they stock a Louisiana smoked sausage that is honestly some of the best I've ever had. Don't recall the name offhand. And the sausage is cured but not fully cooked.

My favorite sausage that I can easily find in the stores here in Houston, though, is Holmes. If you're watching your salt, it has the lowest sodium content, by far, of all the sausages I've seen (like 220mg compared to 400mg to 600mg or more), plus when I cook sausage, I always perforate the casing and cook it until I've cooked out most all of the fat and the casing is almost crunchy. That's the way I prefer my sausage to be, and because of this I don't really have to worry too much about the amount of fat in it, since I've cooked almost all of it out.

Thanks for the tips and thanks for the reply. I'm new here myself. I’ve heard of Prause for years but hardly ever go that route so have never stopped in. Also been to Louisiana Foods many times but never realized they have a sausage! I’ll have to try that. For Cajun sausages, I either order (Poche’s) from cajungrocer.com or pick up some Poche’s at Spec’s downtown. Also have been up to Veron’s in Atascocita. His stuff used to be carried by the Spec’s downtown but I never see it any more. I also like the chaurice put out by Frenchy’s (fried chicken folks); it’s what they use in their jambalaya and creole sausage po’boys and is available at some supermarkets around town.

My favorite sausage in town in the 100% pork with garlic from Guy’s but it’s got a lot of fat. I like the dried sausages from Patek’s and Maeker’s in Shiner the best of all their offerings so maybe I’d like that trick of piercing the skin. I’ll try that.

Here in Central Texas, we have a few places that can supply some "shop stuffed" sausage. LR Meats in downtown Belton has link sausage that is GREAT! Comes in both plain and Jalapena taste and VERY HARD to beat.

Then there is Green's Sausage House, which is 15 miles east of Temple in Zabcikville Texas on hwy 53. For decades, Green's has been known for thier fresh meat(large variety) counter, kolaches, bread, and tasty meals served in the adjoining restaurant. This place is a BIG hit around the holidays for folks who want QUALITY as the parking lot is usually FULL! And don't be surprised to hear some Czech being spoken while in Green's!

Thanks. Two more for the list. I think I've heard of Green's before but not LR. I don't get up that way that often but they're not that far north of Georgetown and I get to Georgetown fairly regularly. The Cafe at Green's looks pretty good, too.

How about that Schoepf's Old Time BBQ in Belton? I've heard of that one before. What do you think of it?

Thanks. Two more for the list. I think I've heard of Green's before but not LR. I don't get up that way that often but they're not that far north of Georgetown and I get to Georgetown fairly regularly. The Cafe at Green's looks pretty good, too.

How about that Schoepf's Old Time BBQ in Belton? I've heard of that one before. What do you think of it?

For grilled steaks and Bar-B-Q we like Johnny's Steaks and Barbeque located in Salado. It's located behind the Dairy Queen right on I-35. Like Schoepf's, Johnny's is always busy.