newsouthernpantry

The Tex-Mex Cookbook By Robb Walsh

As a displaced Texan in Nebraska and other states for the last 15+ yrs, I long for my Tex-Mex foods. They are not as hard to find now as they were in the early 1990's but no resturants here can really give me what I'm looking for. The chain resturants are okay, but when you get green beans with your enchilada's ... It can make a Texas girl go crying into the restroom! My husband gave up even going there with me because I always embarassed him by making a constructive comment about the food to the owner. They totally don't get the Tex-Mex thing outside of Texas. I have lived in Colorado and they have great Santa Fe style mexican. I lived in St. Louis and they tried, but never made it all the way. Nebraska...well just toss in the towel. So in desperation I just started making it at home. I developed my own spice mix and bought a real Tex-Mex cookbook. This one by Robb Walsh is so Texas I read it like a novel when I bought it. I have since purchased his "Legends of Texas Barbecue" and "Nuevo Tex-Mex" which is more cutting new style mexican but it's great too. My link

I totally agree with you about Tex-Mex food outside the State of Texas. A Boston restaurant once served me nachos that had potatoes on them. And, for instance, there are lots of Mexican restaurants in Michigan, most of them owned and operated by Hispanics. However, they know their menu must appeal to local tastes, and most people (I'm speaking generally here) in Michigan do not favor hot, spicy food. So I know exactly what you mean.

I also agree with you concerning Rob Walsh's cookbooks. We have reviewed both The Tex-Mex Cookbook: A History in Recipes and Photos and Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook: Recipes and Recollections from the Pit Bosses in our book review section (see http://texana.texascooking.com/books/robb_walsh_cookbooks.htm ).

Thanks for the link to your blog. It looks like good reading.