okflix

Unash Tray

I bought a couple of ashtrays at a flea market and have never seen them anywhere else. They are called "unash tray" They feature a screen print of healthy lungs and heart and an incised design that looks handwritten, "I Quit!"

It is designed for an ashtray and when you quit smoking you hand it on the wall.

I was lucky enough to find out from one of John Frank's daughter's they only made under 50 of these and the mold was lost to the 1983 fire of the factory.

Has anyone ever seen another one? I had found a pair but only kept one.

1.jpg

Congratulations on your unique piece of Frankoma. I personally have not seen one of these but do not collect many of the pieces made in the last 30 years. When Frankoma began using the decals for decorations, the number of unique pieces expanded greatly. The shape of this is interesting, and I wonder if they would have become popular. Thanks for posting.

That's certainly a very unusual piece - particularly given how many ash trays and other smoking products that Frankoma made. Sometimes looking back through old catalogs and eBay sales, it seems like they must have been funded by the cigarette industry.

I wonder if this was actually made by Frankoma or was a custom product ordered by a third party. I'm guessing the latter, but that's just a wild guess with no evidence to back it up.

Although it is marked 'patent pending', I can't find any reference to a patent actually issuing. That would have provided some insight into who the creator was. Maybe a more detailed search of the USPTO records might lead to more information.

I called frakoma and asked about this piece. The lady I talked with told me it was designed by an employee that discovered he had lung cancer. He quit smoking and the Franks let him design this piece.

I have an email from Donna Frank. And what she told me about the unash tray I will post it tomorrow.

here is an email I rec'd from Donna Frank regarding the "unash tray"

"Hello Kimberly!

Profound apologies for not getting back to you sooner! But I have had to do some research, which took some time. We're at a decided disadvantage when it comes to dates and numbers because of the almost total destruction of Frankoma Pottery in 1983 by fire! All our production records went up in smoke, and all I have to rely upon in this case is my sister, who was President and CEO for 20 years after our father's passing. And after the fire, it was a devastating time for her, and her memory is a little foggy. But here's what I got from her about the Unash Tray . . .

She believes it had to be made at the beginning of the 1980s, as she remembers one being on her desk when the plant burned. She also remembers that "not very many" were made---probably UNDER 50, certainly no more than that. Most Frankoma collectors at this time are not even aware of its existence.

Donna Frank

Frankoma Family Collectors Association

National Secretary"