Finster

Bucking Bronco Question

If I am correctly reading the information in the Frankoma Pottery book, the Bucking Bronco figurine was only produced with Ada clay (1938- 1942). Can someone verify this?

The price list indicates a value of $600-$750. Would this be for any glaze?

"The book" you're referring to is the Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery by Gary V. Schaum and, yes, you are reading the book value correctly for the #121 Bucking Bronco. Many of the glazes Frankoma used between 1938 and 1942 were discontinued in later years, the exceptions being Onyx Black and White Sand which, I think, would receive a lower value.

I do not know which glazes Frankoma used on #121. (It's hard to imagine they would have made Dusty Rose bucking broncos, but maybe they did.) According to Schaum's book, the glazes that were used between '38 and '42 were Bronze Green (1938) renamed Patina in 1942, Old Gold (1933-42), Osage Brown (1938-42, Jade Green (1934-38), Fawn Brown (1934-42), Blue-Grey Jade (1934-38), Onyx Black (1934 -- ), Dove Grey (1934-38), Ivory (1934-Early 40's), White Sand (1942 -- ), Silver Sage (1942) Pompeian Bronze (1933-38), Cherokee (1933-38), Royal Blue (1938-42), Dusty Rose (1942), Indian Blue (1942), Rosetone (1942), Sky Blue (1942) and Early Matte Yellow (1942).

Thank you for the confirmation. My figurine's glaze looks like marble. An off-white background with blue-green and dark blue areas through the off-white. I can't find any glaze picture that even resembles it. It's very nice.

The figurine has felt on the bottom. I suspect my Grandmother was being careful about here furniture, but I guess Frankoma could have added the felt.

Thank you for the confirmation. My figurine's glaze looks like marble. An off-white background with blue-green and dark blue areas through the off-white. I can't find any glaze picture that even resembles it. It's very nice.

The figurine has felt on the bottom. I suspect my Grandmother was being careful about here furniture, but I guess Frankoma could have added the felt.

Can you post a picture? I don't recognize that glaze description, but it might be the rare 'Early blue', although I think that blue was no longer used by the time Bucking Bronco came out. Alternatively, I've seen some Indian blue pieces that could almost match what you've described. it would be easier to guess if we had a picture.

Can you post a picture? I don't recognize that glaze description, but it might be the rare 'Early blue', although I think that blue was no longer used by the time Bucking Bronco came out. Alternatively, I've seen some Indian blue pieces that could almost match what you've described. it would be easier to guess if we had a picture.

http://SelectPics.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

Doesn't look like Indian Blue to me.

Definitely not Indian Blue. I've never seen anything like this. It looks as if someone exercised his or her creative artistry. Joe?

Yes, that's what it looks like. Frankoma has always been known for having oddball pieces out there based on someone experimenting. For example, there's the two tone Clydesdale in Schaum's book (one is currently on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Frankoma-Two-Toned-Rearing-Clydesdale-Horse-/200521442645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb0026555#ht_500wt_1154).

Very nice one-of-a-kind bronco.

Edit:

I thought the price looked high, so I checked it. Schaum's book has it at $250-350 a pair (or 50% more if it has the Taylor mark). That seems about right (I paid $150 for a single the last time I bought one). I'd put yours at around $250 for a single, $500 for a pair-but that's only a guess. For one of a kind items, it really comes down to what someone is willing to pay.