gr8-scots

Was All Frankoma Marked?

Was all Frankoma marked and if not, did they ever make a holy water font, to your knowledge? I recently found this piece at an estate sale and the glaze very closely resembles Frankoma. Thanks for your help.

Was all Frankoma marked and if not, did they ever make a holy water font, to your knowledge? I recently found this piece at an estate sale and the glaze very closely resembles Frankoma. Thanks for your help.

Not all Frankoma was marked-it depends on the item. Dinnerware, for example, is almost always marked. Small decorative pieces are often unmarked because there's little room in the base of some of the miniature animals, for example.

I don't know of an item specifically marketed as a holy water font, but there are certainly plenty of items that could have been used that way. I agree that a photo would be really helpful - or, at the very least, a detailed description including dimensions.

That's a wall pocket with the Chi-Rho symbol, an early Christian symbol. This could be a Frankoma piece. It looks like Sapulpa clay in Brown Satin. Frankoma produced all kinds of custom pieces, including wall pockets, for customer special order. However, the back is unglazed. If the inside is also unglazed, this could not be used for water or liquid of any kind; it would seep through the clay.

That's a wall pocket with the Chi-Rho symbol, an early Christian symbol. This could be a Frankoma piece. It looks like Sapulpa clay in Brown Satin. Frankoma produced all kinds of custom pieces, including wall pockets, for customer special order. However, the back is unglazed. If the inside is also unglazed, this could not be used for water or liquid of any kind; it would seep through the clay.

It is glazed on the inside as it is, and was used as, a holy water font. I know what it is, I was just hoping to find out if it could be Frankoma.

I'm not quite so sure. While the clay looks like mid-70s Sapulpa clay, the coloring isn't quite right for Brown Satin of that era. The Brown Satin glaze on that era of clay was very, very dark brown in the dark areas.

I haven't seen many custom wall pockets, but if you've seen them, they must exist. HOWEVER, most Frankoma custom items use the same mold as production items with only the decoration being changed. The shape of this one is different from any standard production items I've seen.

Overall, I'd say it's a long shot for it being Frankoma. I wouldn't rule it out (they did occasionally do complete customs in unique molds), but it doesn't seem really likely.