artsncraftnut

Frankoma Swirl Pitcher?

HI, I recently bought a beautiful Frankoma Pitcher and was wondering if you could help me identify the model or mold. It is about 7 inches tall with a handle and spout and a swirl design on each side of the pitcher. It is a butterscotch or light brown color. The mark on the bottom is the frankoma name with a cat above it. Would you have any idea of the value of this pitcher? I have a picture but I am not sure how to attach it to this post. Thank you

Without a photo I can't be certain, but your pitcher could be either the #91 pitcher which Frankoma began making in 1936. The pacing leopard logo (or "cat mark", as it is usually called) ensures that the piece was made prior to 1938 and has a book value of $85-95. Another Frankoma pitcher, the #88, also had a swirl design on the sides, handle and spout, but it came complete with a stopper (it was a refrigerator pitcher). The #88's book value is $125-150 but, without the stopper, it would be less.

In either case, it's always good to see a Frankoma piece with the cat mark. You have a piece of history since the metal dies used to make the cat mark were destroyed, along with practically everything else, in the 1938 factory fire.

You can post a photo by opening an account with one of the free photo storage sites like PhotoBucket, etc. (there are many) and then downloading the photo from that site. Let me know if you have questions.

They also posted this inquiry with a picture at:

http://forums.frankoma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2513

My response was:

Nice pitcher. Your post led me to do a little research. I am more familiar with the later #91 spiral pitcher (which has the spout portion raised a little above the main pitcher opening), but it appears that yours is also a #91 spiral pitcher (originally called a '50 oz pitcher' or a 'waffle pitcher'). The must have changed the design slightly in the 40's (I can't tell exactly, but it appears that yours doesn't have an ice catcher, and the new design does, so that was probably the reason for the change. The pitcher was originally released in 1936 and continued until the 90's. Your cat mark indicates that it was one of the earlier ones, since the cat mark was discontinued in 1938 after the first Frankoma fire. The price for this item in the 1942 catalog was $1.25.

In any event, the color appears to be Fawn, one of the very collectible early Frankoma colors. Book value is $85-95, but I think that's far too low. I would expect to get close to twice that.

Thank you for the information, I am so happy to have this older piece. I looked online at the #91 pitcher and it is exactly like the one I have. I am now in search of the mini sized pitchers that look like #91. I came across a blue one a while back and would like to start collecting them. Thank you again for the information, Regards, Susan

Thank you for the information, I am so happy to have this older piece. I looked online at the #91 pitcher and it is exactly like the one I have. I am now in search of the mini sized pitchers that look like #91. I came across a blue one a while back and would like to start collecting them. Thank you again for the information, Regards, Susan

The miniature is #557 and is listed as $35-50 (they were only made from Ada clay). You can find them occasionally on eBay. There is some discrepancy on whether they were made with the Norman marks. One source says they were and the other says not. If you can find them with Norman mark, add about 25% or more.