Sign in to follow this  
Hobo

Miniture Donkey

I said hi to all on a reply to another post but again, Hi to all and Happy New Year, and I hope you do have a good one.

I have been buying and selling for 47 years. I started in when I was in middle school. I found toys in the trash on trash day and some were in great shape. I picked out dishes, tools and anything of value. I started that when I was 5 years old taking my huge wagon around the different blocks and picking up junk. I started selling in 7th grade when some of the kids wanted some of the toys I found. I sold them for a good price then. My parents were always going to antique shops. My wife says I never got enough of playing house when I was little. I didn't have a sister. LOL

I was at the legal aid thrift shop where they have silent auctions. I picked up a lot of 17 figures of all sorts for $7.50. I was the only one who bid. I knew I did very well with the glass miniatures and several small signed glass birds, but I had no idea that some of the Frankoma was worth so much. I have had some of them and sold them cheap. In this lot I picked up the 3 inch tall Donkey. It is in the red clay and the suggested value is $175-$200. That is according to the Frankoma society web site. I have seen pictures of them but never owned one. My question is, do any of you have a collection of miniature Frankoma pottery? I have many miniature collections and am glad to add this one. I deal with fine art, silver and furniture, but have bought out many estates. I guess they are so expensive because like other things of value they are rare. The quality and workmanship do not give it its value, that is for sure. The donkey is very cut and, at first I thought it might be Bluemountain Pottery from Ontario Canada, but it had the wrong glaze on it. They used the same red clay in many of their pieces. Their artist was from Czech Republic and was a fantastic artist. I don't want to offend anyone, but Frankoma pottery lacks style and artistic value. Just my opinion as a professional Architect with a masters in Art. Now that I have stirred the pot, who collects Frankoma miniatures?

Thanks

Richard

I collect Frankoma miniatures and if you don't really want your donkey, I would be interested in buying it. What color is the glaze?

FFCA lists the value of that piece a little lower than your estimate - $125-150 for Ada clay. Your $175-200 comes from the Norman marked items - which are extremely rare and it's unlikely that you have one. I'm concerned, though, that you say it has red clay. The donkey was discontinued before the switch to red clay, so something is amiss. I'd have to check my book at home to get the dates of production, but from memory, donkey production stopped in the mid 40's -- about 10 years before the switch to red clay. Do you have a picture of both the donkey and the clay on the bottom?

I disagree with your view that Frankoma pottery does not have artistic value. Have a look at some of the early pieces and the style is impressive. The difference is that Frankoma makes no effort to be 'high art'. If you're into Monet and Matisse, Frankoma isn't for you. Rather, it was designed as something beautiful for the home in the context of its time and location. Keep in mind, also, that Frankoma never defined itself as art pottery. Rather, they considered themselves to be making functional pieces with a little style, not artistic works (with a few exceptions). It was considered to be extremely attractive in the 30's and 40's in the midwestern US because people appreciated that style. Personally, I consider Picasso to be grotesque. Does that mean that it's bad art? Of course not. Of course, that's just my take on it.

Your right on the price. I was busy when I was looking at it and was not thinking straight. LOL I have several meetings for the rest of the week and need to get some work out tonight. I will post pictures this weekend and, yes, you can buy it if you want it. I will sell it for half book price. Some of the early work did have artistic value. I just do not like the glazes they used. There were parts that have good style, then they were connected to things that looked funky. I think they are ugly. LOL I think Frank was a fair artist, but when other people got into working there they just did not have the artistic ability. If you look at Bluemountain figures, they knock your socks off. The mold makers background in art really shows there. As I said, I stirred the pot. LOL. I collect many things. I have never had a piece of Frankoma pottery sitting out in my house. It would stick out like a sore thumb. I have dozens of pieces of Frankoma packed ready to go back to Indiana where my daughter has an antique shop. If anyone is looking for a special piece I might have it and will be glad to sell it cheap. I am not married to this stuff. I sell cheap and turn the money over. My house is the museum. I am glad people like all walks of life. Life would be a drag if we all liked the same things. I will post pictures Sunday. We are going to have a rare week of rain.