Sign in to follow this  
Chic Vintage Goods

Frankoma Texas Plate

I have this Frankoma plate featuring Texas points of interest. The back give info on State Flower, State bird , etc. Signed "Frankoma". No other marks, numers. Letters in Frankoma are all the same size. Can anyone give me more info on this plate, the era this was made and the color, etc.?

Many thanks!

Vicki

http://yfrog.com/06dscn0190fij

That is a Texas commemorative plate. Frankoma made similar plates for OK and KS, and probably other states, as well. The color is coffee which was a common Frankoma color, but not used that often for commemoratives. There are three similar plates for sale on eBay right now (although different colors) for $7.50 to $14.95. On eBay, search for 'texas plate frankoma'.

The ones on eBay are all Sapulpa clay which places them after 1954. Looking at the ones on eBay, the clay color of one indicates perhaps the 1970s while another one indicates around the 90s, suggesting that this particular plate was made for quite a while. If you show a picture of the back of the plate, it should be possible to give a better idea of the age of your plate.

Joe, thanks for your reply. That's great information. Here is the back of the plate. thanks again!

http://yfrog.com/3ddscn0253ij

That looks to me like a fairly recent piece (perhaps 90's) because it has the reddish tint which represents Sapulpa clay but it's lighter which indicates a later piece. As it gets lighter, the clay is looking more and more like Ada clay and some of the newer pieces are a little hard to tell from older Ada pieces, but yours definitely is Sapulpa.