Sign in to follow this  
rod

Draping Desk/table/shelf Elephants

Some time ago I saw a pair of sitting elephants on ebay. The bottoms were molded so that they would sit on the edge of a desk/table/shelf, half on and half draping down the side of the 90 degree angled edge. As far as I can recall they were Frankoma, but I was just getting into Frankoma at the time and wasn't that familiar with all their pottery, but I haven't seen them since. Does anyone know of these pieces? There were two different molds.

Thanks, Rod

Some time ago I saw a pair of sitting elephants on ebay. The bottoms were molded so that they would sit on the edge of a desk/table/shelf, half on and half draping down the side of the 90 degree angled edge. As far as I can recall they were Frankoma, but I was just getting into Frankoma at the time and wasn't that familiar with all their pottery, but I haven't seen them since. Does anyone know of these pieces? There were two different molds.

Thanks, Rod

I don't think that sounds like a Frankoma piece.

You really have to watch eBay. There are a lot of things being sold as Frankoma that really aren't. You'll also find a lot of things being sold as 'Ada clay' which are clearly Sapulpa (I saw a couple last week that were the bright red 70's Sapulpa clay that were listed as Ada).

There was one lady who was regularly selling Frankoma pieces, but about 10% of what she sold wasn't Frankoma at all - and she also regularly claimed that things were Ada that were actually Sapulpa. I corrected her on one item and she simply banned me from bidding on her auctions and contacting her - so I assume that at least some of the misinformation is intentional. Buyer beware!

I just had another thought. Joniece and Donna Frank are still selling hand-crafted pottery. While it's not Frankoma, it has clear ties to Frankoma since both Donna and Joniece played important roles in Frankoma's early years and created a number of the Frankoma designs.

Their current products are being marketed as Frankx2. Do a Google search for Frankx2. I found one elephant with just a very quick search:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/frankoma-frankx2-patriotic-elephant-puter-pal