cookiegirl12

French Onion Soup

If you’re looking for something to warm you up during the winter, French Onion soup is perfect! I wanted to share this classic recipe. Enjoy!

French Onion Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp - butter

2 lbs - yellow onions, peeled and sliced

½ tsp - Florida Crystals® Milled Cane Sugar

½ cup - dry sherry

1 bay leaf

2 sprigs fresh thyme

4 cups - beef broth (fresh or canned)

Salt and pepper to taste

6 slices - French bread, toasted

1½ cup - grated Swiss cheese

Preparation:

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sliced onions and sugar. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are soft and golden brown. Add the sherry and cook until the sherry is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaf, thyme sprigs and beef broth.

Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F. When soup is finished cooking, remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle into oven-safe soup crocks and top with a slice of French bread and a portion of Swiss cheese. Place crocks on a sheet pan and bake until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown.

Serving Quantity: 1 to 1

http://www.floridacrystals.com/Recipe.aspx?id=27

Your recipe looks really good. I love using sherry in recipes.

We just happen to have an excellent French Onion Soup recipe in our cookbook. I've made it many times and, although it does not contain sherry, it's really, really good.

French Onion Soup

This wonderful, flavorful soup will impress your dinner guests at an elegant table. Or dress it down, and serve it to your family alongside a pan of hot cornbread.

* 3 tablespoons butter

* 1-1/2 pounds yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 4 large onions)

* 1 tablespoon brown sugar

* 1 teaspoon sweet paprika

* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

* 6 cups canned beef broth (if using cubes, granules or concentrate, use half beef and half chicken)

* 1 teaspoon dried thyme

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* freshly ground pepper, to taste

* 4 Slices French bread, dried until crisp in a 250°F oven for 30 minutes

* 1/3 cup grated Gruyere cheese

* 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese

Heat the butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onions, cover and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the brown sugar. Stir until the onions are well browned. Stir in the paprika and flour. Add the broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, over gentle heat for 30 minutes.

Preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into four ovenproof soup bowls. Place on a baking sheet. Put a round of French bread in each bowl. Mix the cheese and sprinkle over the surface. Place 4 inches from the broiler flame and cook for 4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned. Makes 4 servings.

Here's the link to the printable recipe: http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/fronionsoup.htm. I think I might give yours a try though. There's more than one way to skin a cat (terrible metaphor, but it is an old saying).

Plm555, I’m really glad you like the recipe! And thanks for sharing your recipe as well. It makes me hungry! lol

Do you ever use organic ingredients when you cook or bake?

I use organic ingredients all the time. Well, not all the time, but as often as I can. Especially with fresh vegetables, dairy, bread, rice, beans and flour. I just cook for two, now that the kids have left the nest, so it's not unaffordable. I keep hoping that more people will choose organic foods so the prices will come down. I just hope that the FDA (or whatever government agency that regulates that) doesn't relax the standards for "organic."

That’s great to hear. :D I actually work with Florida Crystals and we’re the only brand of organic sugar that is grown in the US. Maybe you’ll find this interesting, http://floridacrystals.com/content/124/our_natural_mill_process.aspx it’s a link that explains our natural milling process.