Sign in to follow this  
labinski

The Texas Cookbook By Mary Faulk Koock

The University of North Texas Press sent us this stout paperback a few years ago, and I saw copies of it for sale recently at the Texas Book Festival. I thought I would post a few excerpts and recipes from this book to the texascooking.com forum.

Written in 1965, Mrs. Koock gathered together years of dinner party hosting with friends and relatives into this book. It is filled with tons of anecdotes and stories that make all of the chapters come to life. For decades people have dined what what is now a famous Austin restuarant, which was originally her home - Green Pastures.

517W8DWYKEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

from The Texas Cookbook by Mary Faulk Koock

From the chapter In and Around Austin II -

As you will have discovered by now, very few of the recipes I use at Green Pastures originated with me. I have to stop and think, and sometimes for the life of me can't remember where I did get certain ones. Some are written on backs of envelopes, wrapping paper, brown paper sacks, the margin of a symphony program -- and in my shorthand they really make a rare collection; and I am often surprised to find I can interpret them.

Why not copy them all off on to cards for the recipe file? Well, that's exactly what I'm going to do - next week! Anyway, O have tried to keep the best ones in the top drawer, This is definitely top drawer. Try to have it baking when guests arrive - the ones you want to stay that is.

Olga Crawford's Orange Nut Bread

Ingredients:

Rind of 5 oranges

1/4 tsp. soda

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

BATTER

1 cup sugar

1 cup milk

3 1/2 cups plain flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs

3 tsp. baking powder

1 cup chopped nuts

Cook orange rind in water to cover, with soda, for 5 minutes. Drain and chop (not too fine), add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water and cook very showly until almost all the juice is absorbed, but not dry.

Cool. Add rind mixture to batter last. Pour into greased loaf pans and bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees (325 if pyrex pans are used). For a more cake-like texture, use 2 cups all purpose flour and 1 1/2 cups cake flour.

from The Texas Cookbook by Mary Faulk Koock