Please can somebody tell me what a graham cracker is? I am English and often see American recipes using graham crackers but cannot find out what I can use as a substitution. I think it may be a type of what we would call a plain (with very little - if any - sugar) biscuit (you call biscuits cookies) but I haven't been able to find out. I would love to try some of the recipes I've found once I find out what these are.

Here is the link to the graham cracker page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_cracker

I think this will tell you what you'd like to know. The graham crackers used today definitely fall under the "Modern Use" paragraph on the page. They are not terribly sweet, but have a nice flavor. A google search on "graham biscuits UK" turned up some information. Someone referred to them as being called digestive biscuits in the UK. I hope this will help you locate them, or a good substitute.

Graham Crackers make really great crusts for pies. Place them in a ziploc and smash! It's a great way to get out your stress. Ha ha . Then you add melted butter and place into a pie pan.