Sign in to follow this  
LA Lucy

Frankoma 2000 Fall Collection

I found this platter with pumpkins and fall leaves and was so surprised when I saw the Frankoma mark

on the back. I was told that it is from the hand-painted Fall Collection introduced by Frankoma in 1997 and discontinued in 2002. The letters, "KF", on the front, are the painter's initials (Karen Fitzaland).

I was told that these are hard to find. I haven't been able to find any pieces for sale on the internet or

any pictures of this pattern. I wondered if anybody had additional information, pictures, or

idea of value for this piece. Is the little "snail-like" mark the artist's mark?

Thanks for any help.

Lucy

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1359/4721499/13105963/376453869.jpg

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=376453896

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1359/4721499/13105963/376453875.jpg

I heard from Gibb Green, who is such great help and from the Frankoma.org site. He said, "that series of items (also including a pitcher, a plate and a casserole) were made for a Littleton, Colo. catalog outfit called Expressly Yours. Several thousand of each piece was made. Karen loved snails, and the retailer liked it too. The pieces are charming and well done. There was also a Christmas line of handpainted pieces. Each item is probably worth $15-$20".

If anybody else didn't know about this series, this info might help you, too!

Thanks!!

Lucy

Note one important thing: the clay in these is white unlike most other Frankoma products. As far as I know, this was the first Frankoma item to use white clay.

Frankoma also produced a line of gingerbread pieces for Christmas which was also based on white clay. The gingerbread pieces included a much wider range - tea pot, cookie jars, all sizes of plates and cups, serving dishes, etc. These were also hand-painted with attractive gingerbread designs. I used to collect the gingerbread pieces, but decided to give them up and the leftover pieces are on sale in the Frankoma store. If I remember correctly, the Gingerbread pieces were produced from 1999 to 2004 (although most were 1999-2001).

Additional information from Kandy Steeples - one of the top Frankoma experts in the world:

"Mary, The stock number for this platter is HC07

These hand-painted pieces were produced by and for Frankoma. They were not part of the hand-painted Christmas designs we were commissioned to do for Expressly Yours. They were exclusively Frankoma's.

Each artist put their initials on the pieces and some would use little symbols like a butterfly, snail etc.

When the platter was in production, it sold for 28.00 retail

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Kandy Steeples

Frankoma Pottery "

Thank you, Joe!

I don't know what happened, but I didn't get a notice about your posts.

I came to post the new information that Kandy sent me and saw your posts.

I appreciate yours and Kandy's help and information.

LA Lucy (aka Mary)