jeanie1119

Frankoma Deviled Egg Plate

The deviled egg plates were made in two sizes, 9-1/2" (#809) and 12" (#819). The 12-inch plate was first produced by Frankoma in 1969 (which would mean that it was made from Sapulpa clay), and continued its run well into the 1990s. The only thing that puzzles me is your description of the color. Frankoma didn't use a pale gray glaze during that period; however, there was a glaze called Mountain Haze described as bluish gray that was in use between 1987 and 1992. If, in fact, your plate is Mountain Haze, you can date it to that five-year period.

The 9-1/2-inch plate was made only in 1986, which would be a little early for Mountain Haze, but not an impossibility.

The 12-inch plate has a book value of $20-25, and the 9-1/2-inch plate's book value is $12-15.

Your #835 pitcher isn't part of the Lazybones dinnerware pattern. It is a 24-ounce pitcher that Frankoma produced from 1962 into the 1990s. Because it had such a long production run, there are many #835s in existence, which is why its book value is $6-7. It's a nice pitcher, though. Distinctively Frankoma.

The 9 1/2" plate is back in production (and has been since early this year). I don't recall gray being available, so your dating is probably correct, but I just wanted to clear up the statement that it was only made in 1986.

I AM LOOKIING AT AN EGG PLATE WITH THE NUMBER 819, BUT FROM THE PHOTO IT APPEARS TO BE PRAIRIE GREEN, WHICH WOULD MATCH MY AZTEC PRAIRIE GREEN SET. DID THEY USE A PRAIRIE GREEN FOR THE 819 EGG PLATE? THE SELLER IS CALLING IT PRAIRIE GREEN.

Yes. Frankoma made practically everything in Prairie Green. But there must be some exceptions -- and not the Christmas plates. Suggestions anyone?

While you are right that most items were available in PG, there are plenty of exceptions. For example, some of the other commemorative items (Easter plates, for example) would not have been Prairie Green. The bicentennial plates were white, but a very small number were made in PG, which makes them quite rare. Of course, the political mugs were prairie green only in 1 year (1972-so that would be GOP only). Nativity pieces were always white. V-vases were always made in special colors. Then there would be custom items that were often made in only one or two colors (for example, Frankoma has been making Lee Supply mugs with the year on them for several decades, but only one of those years would be PG). And, of course, any item introduced after the mid-90's would not be available in PG (such as current Mountain Air and Colorworks patterns).