Sign in to follow this  
Noche

Helen Corbitt's A Little Bit Of West Texas

For a bit of extra money I ran the cookers at the Green Giant Corn Pack several years ago. Before sun up, we went off shift and drifted into the cafeteria. I sat there in my ignorance for a month and laughed up my sleeve at those eating Mexican Bean Soup for breakfast. Then I tried it; wow, good.

I pulled the Mexican Cowboy Bean recipe off the net.

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/beans/me...wboy_beans.html

I cooked according to directions with these variations: cumin powder, sweet basil, soaked over night and cooked about two hours longer, I'm at 3600 feet and water boils cooler. I did not stir the beans and put four or five nuckels of water over the beans at the start. (use cumin powder, one tsp and don't drain - works)

This recipe calls for two tomatoes, 6 Oz Chorizo and 5 chilies de Arbol which I had never used before but was at my local grocery store. I had just read at the "In Mexico site" that green arbols were mild but at the end of the season they were dry, red and hot. I cooled my red dry ones down by soaking them in hot salt water for two hours. My wife can't take hot and surprisingly, many Mexicans can't either.

I also got the cookbook, "The best from Helen Corbitt's Kitchens" and baked the Texas Corn Bread recipe in a ten inch cast iron pot. This recipe calls for one cup corn meal and one half cup of flour plus one fourth cup of shortning which I used olive oil. I also used my fresh oven roasted and hand ground corn meal. (after that cornbread cooled, olive oil ran out of it at 3600 ft. alt.; I'm cutting the oil in half next time)

There is corn bread and then there is Heaven. I know grown Mexicans and Texans that would sit down and cry trears of joy for this meal. It is that good.

Many of the authentic Mexican restaurants still serve bean soup as an prelude to the meal.

Great stuff!