Sign in to follow this  
ggjtz

Frankoma Plate

I have a Frankoma plate, prarie green, front:GFWC- OKLAHOMA KINDLINESS AND HELPFULNESS, the picture is of Oklahoma state with a blank shield on the center right, the sun top left behind state, fingernail moon left bottom in front of state the year 1898 in center of state, back: signed by Grace Lee Frank and Joniece Frank 1987 FRANKOMA. Would you know what it represents and what it's worth? I've been looking everywhere.

Thanks,

Kathryn Trevino

I didn't recognize it, but that doesn't mean much.

Frankoma has done literally thousands of custom orders for various governments, companies, groups, and organizations. You name it and Frankoma has made a custom plate - dozens of national parks, state parks, fraternal organizations, tourist destinations, on and on and on.

GFWC is an acronym for General Federation of Women's Clubs. It started in 1868, so probably isn't right. However, there's an Oklahoma Federation of Women's Clubs which was organized in 1898 and joined the National 'General' Federation the same year. Since the OK group's motto is 'Kindliness and Helpfulness', that's undoubtedly the sponsor of your plate. Details on the group at http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/O/OK046.html. (You can find an awful lot in a very short time with Google).

As for value? fairly limited - since it is of recent vintage. There are so many custom plates and items that they have little value - other than sentimental value for the sponsor. You'd probably get $15 or so if you sold it in a garage sale, but someone who had a family member associated with the group might pay considerably more. If it is actually hand signed by Joniece and Grace Lee, it could be worth a bit more, but I'm guessing that you're talking about their signatures pressed into the clay.