Anne

Running Pig Planters And Banks

Hello,

I am a pig collector and love to collect in groups (It keeps my wallet happier) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any information as to these two Frankoma pieces. What colours were made in each and when they were made? I would just like to know how many piggies I will be looking for.

Thank you so much in advance.

Anne Yao

There is a Frankoma piggy bank that was made during 1980-83, the mold number is 380, and it's 6 inches tall. I do not know all the colors it was made in, but Prairie Green, Desert Gold, Flame, Brown Satin, Autumn Yellow, White Sand and Robin Egg Blue are a good bet. Book value is $25-35.

There is also a Frankoma piggy planter that was made beginning in 1980 and on through the '90s. I see these on eBay fairly often. The mold number is 391, and the book value is $10-15. In fact, there's one in White Sand on eBay right now with a buy-it-now price of $24. The 380 and the 391 look very much alike, as far as the piggy part goes. The molds for each just modified the piggy's back to be either a bank (for the 380) and a planter (for the 391).

There is a Frankoma piggy bank that was made during 1980-83, the mold number is 380, and it's 6 inches tall. I do not know all the colors it was made in, but Prairie Green, Desert Gold, Flame, Brown Satin, Autumn Yellow, White Sand and Robin Egg Blue are a good bet. Book value is $25-35.

There is also a Frankoma piggy planter that was made beginning in 1980 and on through the '90s. I see these on eBay fairly often. The mold number is 391, and the book value is $10-15. In fact, there's one in White Sand on eBay right now with a buy-it-now price of $24. The 380 and the 391 look very much alike, as far as the piggy part goes. The molds for each just modified the piggy's back to be either a bank (for the 380) and a planter (for the 391).

I think it also came in black. There are probably other colors, as well.

Frankoma did the same thing with other animals - where they made a planter as well as a bank from the same mold. In addition to the pig, there's an elephant and a dog (although the dog bank is quite hard to find).

I should also mention that the pig planter is still available from Fraknoma in some of the current colors. Last time I was there, there was a storm gray pig planter, but I don't know what might be available now. You could find out by calling them.

Probably. But the reason I suggested those colors is that they were the colors Frankoma used frequently during the time the piggies were manufactured.

Do you think they would have made both molds in the same colour? For example, if I have a white sand planter, there probably would be a white sand bank?

Yes, in general. At any given time, there were a number of standard Frankoma colors and they usually made most items in all colors (but there are plenty of exceptions, particularly for limited edition items). I happen to have the pig planter AND bank in Robin's Egg Blue, so I know that at least some of the time you can get both items in the same color. I would imagine that finding a white sand bank wouldn't be too hard. Try eBay.

Does anyone know if the moulds for the planter and bank were used by any other pottery companies or if there are any "fake" ones on the market? I have a couple in colours that are not listed.

Does anyone know if the moulds for the planter and bank were used by any other pottery companies or if there are any "fake" ones on the market? I have a couple in colours that are not listed.

I've never heard of fakes of Frankoma - other than a very small number of early items, few Frankoma items are valuable enough or sold in high enough quantities to justify the work required to copy them. It IS, however, possible than an employee might have taken a mold from the shop at one time and produced product, but it would be very difficult for them to get Frankoma clay, so you should be able to see that in the clay.

A far more likely explanation is that Frankoma has always experimented with new glazes and new colors. There was a period about 10 years ago when this activity was particularly high and they're doing a lot of the same now. You'll find quite a few Frankoma pieces on eBay with unnamed colors - and those are usually experiments. I'd be interested in hearing what the colors look like, how old the piece appears to be, and seeing pictures, if possible.

As for value, since Frankoma has done so much experimenting, the one-of-a-kind colors are not quite as valuable as they'd be for, for example, Fiesta. In fact, an unknown color might not be worth much, if any, more than a popular collectible color like Redbud or Peacock Blue.

A far more likely explanation is that Frankoma has always experimented with new glazes and new colors. There was a period about 10 years ago when this activity was particularly high and they're doing a lot of the same now. You'll find quite a few Frankoma pieces on eBay with unnamed colors - and those are usually experiments. I'd be interested in hearing what the colors look like, how old the piece appears to be, and seeing pictures, if possible.

Okay..I am not an expert on colours, but this is what I have in my collection so far:

Bank: White Sand

Robin Egg Blue

Prairie Green

?cobalt

Desert Gold

?brown satin

?terra cotta (this one is not shiny like the others)

Planter: ?brown satin

?country green

?forest green

Robin Egg Blue

Autumn Yellow

Desert Gold

White Sand

?terra cotta

?peach

?mauve

?black with a white snowflake pattern

?cabernet

Prairie Green

I don't mind taking and sending pictures as I am hoping to load them up onto my own website soon. How would I do that here?

Anne