Sign in to follow this  
TheLoneRanger

Steak Kabobs

This recipe sounded really good to me. I'd like to try it this weekend. It’s from Safeway's Summer website (www.Safeway.com/summer)

Lemon-Peppercorn Steak Kabobs

* 2 Rancher's Reserve™ Rib-Eye Steaks (12 oz. each; about 1 in. thick), fat trimmed

* 2 zucchini (about 10 oz. total), rinsed, ends trimmed

* 2 yellow squash, such as zucchini or crookneck (about 10 oz. total), rinsed, ends trimmed

* 1 bottle (16 oz.) Safeway® SELECT™ Lemon-Peppercorn Marinade

* 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel

* 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill

* 1 bunch green onions, rinsed, ends trimmed

* Lemon wedges

1. If using wooden skewers, begin soaking in water.

2. Rinse steaks and pat dry. Cut into 1- to 11/2-inch chunks.

Cut zucchini and yellow squash crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Combine steak, squash, lemon-peppercorn marinade, lemon peel, and dill in a heavy plastic food bag.

Seal bag, turn to mix, and chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours. Add green onions to bag for the last 20 minutes.

Like you, I love steak kabobs, but skewering all of those pieces is tedious work, especially when cooking for a crowd, so I make steak kabobs without the kabobs. The secret is a grill basket like this--http://www.grillingcompanion.com/grill-basket-perfection/ I got mine at Home Depot for under $15 and I actually bought two, for when I have guests. I use sirloin or sirloin tip; just as good but cheaper, so you can buy more. More steak is always better. The basket lets you go wild with the veggies. Besides the ones you mentioned, you can try cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, red onion, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, fresh mushrooms, broccoli florets, fresh green beens, or anything else that suits your fancy. If I try something and don't like it, I try something different next time. Just toss the veggies with salt, pepper, and a little EVOO(not too much or they will catch fire). Grill the veggies in the basket on a hot grill, turning until cooked; then return them to the bowl. Add the steak pieces to the empty basket and grill until nearly cooked. If you try to grill steak and veggies together, the veggies will burn before the steak is cooked. Add 12-15 peeled shrimp to the steak, then immediately return the veggies to the basket. Cook 3-5 minutes more to cook the shrimp and warm the veggies, then serve.

When I have guests I have to stand guard over the grill with a spatula because my guests keep opening the grill to pick a piece of something out of the basket with their fingers. Leftovers(if any) should go in a plastic container in the 'fridge. They are delicious to eat right out of the container without re-heating.

So much good food; so little time....

That grill basket looks like a great idea! I'm looking forward to trying it!