Golfergal

Peanut Brittle Help

I have been making buttery peanut brittle from a receipe that says it takes 1 hour total. For me with an electric stove top, and non stick heavy pan it takes me almost 2 hours for my candy to reach 300 degrees. Any suggestions as to why? :stirthepot:

Sorry Golfergal, I can't help you with that. Is your cooktop heating properly? However, I have an excellent recipe for microwave peanut brittle. The only problem with the recipe is that the time varies with different microwaves and their wattages. You might have to experiment with a batch or two, but when you get down the right time for your microwave, it comes out perfect every time. You can get to where you can tell when the brittle is getting done by the color and smell. You really should try it. The following recipe was adjusted from a lower wattage microwave (mine) to a higher wattage one (my mother's):

Microwave Peanut Brittle

1 cup raw peanuts

1 cup sugar

1/8 tsp. salt

1/2 cup white corn syrup (Karo)

1 Tbsp. butter (not margarine)

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. baking soda

For best results, have butter, vanilla and baking soda pre-measured and ready to go when needed.

Combine first four ingredients in a deep, microwavable bowl. (I use a large, glass, four-cup measuring cup with a handle.) Microwave on high 4 minutes; stir and cook 3 minutes more. Remove from microwave, stir in butter and vanilla and cook 3 more minutes. Remove from oven and stir in baking soda (it will foam). Working quickly, pour on buttered, foil-lined cookie sheet and spread as thin as possible. When cool, break into pieces.

For older, lower wattage microwaves like mine, the cook times are 5 minutes, 5 minutes, and 3 minutes.

Water boils at 212 degrees and then the sugar starts to get hotter when the water is gone. Turn up the heat to max. Then watch it so it won't burn.

I have tried making brittle and put the nuts in to early. I found out that you add the nuts just before you take it off the stove. Add nuts and bring it back to temp, then off the stove and add the other stuff.