Ingredients:

1/3 cup flour

1/3 cup cooking oil

2 1/2 cups chicken broth

1 cup of vegetable or beef broth

1 can of diced tomatoes

12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage

¾ to 1 pound of chicken in bit size pieces

1 to 2 cups sliced okra (frozen if you can’t find fresh)

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

4 cloves garlic, minced

salt, to taste (very little)

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 bay leaves

1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne

boiled white rice (whatever kind you like but not a minute rice)

Directions:

For roux, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together flour and oil until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly :stirthepot: . Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes more or until roux is dark reddish brown. Let roux cool.

Cut up chicken in bite size pieces and brown chicken in pan.

Slice smoked sausage and then brown it slightly in a pan. This brings the flavor out.

Add chicken broth to a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in roux. Add sausage, chicken, diced tomatoes, okra, onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

Skim off fat. Serve over hot cooked rice.

Hope you all enjoy :)

I think I've only had Gumbo once. Is it difficult to make?

The roux can be tricky, and it's the most important part. You can't walk away from it, even for a few minutes. You have to stir it constantly until you get that good, dark color.

Hey Sammie,

No, this is not really a hard recipe to follow. The only problem you might have is with the roux. Just make sure you constantly stir the roux with a whisk until it is dark reddish brown. Mind you when I say a "constant" stir Im very serious. :stirthepot: Do not walk a way for a few seconds unless you want it burnt. It should only take about 15 minutes. If for some reason you burn the roux then toss it out and do it again. Dont ruin the gumbo by adding a burnt roux to it. The roux by the way is what will thicken it up in case your wondering.

The only other thing I would suggest when you make this recipe is to use a "good" rice to put it over. Please avoid something like minute rice. Sorry but I dont think that minute rice or the like has the best flavor.

David

I think I've only had Gumbo once. Is it difficult to make?

Thanks so much David! Extremely helpful!

This sounds great David! Thanks for the recipe. It's very much like a recipe I use, except that I've never made gumbo in a crock pot before. I wonder why. I also use chicken, sausage, AND shrimp in mine, but very few recipes call for all three. I will definitely try yours.