Sign in to follow this  
Noche

Christmas Ideas For A Cook

IF you live in the city but long for the country, MOVE!; "Got Darkness" in the kitchen or bath? Give her a Solatube http://www.solatube.com/ ; 12" High Potted Herb plants; Country Living Hand Grain Mill and a sack of Walton's Spring White Wheat and Yellow Corn for the best baking idea in a century; A plastic cookbook holder/stand/protector; Go to Pier 1 and get one of their coke bottle size decorator bottles and a pour spout, makes a great olive or cooking oil dispenser; Money for new cookbooks; new knives; new pots; new china; cutting board wood; cutting board insert for the counter top installed; one of those coffee cups from Western Horseman Magazine with their brand on it, they will want you to draw the brand and send it to them, be advised they use that as their drawing on your cup. If it an't right, you drew it; go to the antique store and get them an antique mush dish or something else old that they need; a ceramic bread baking dish that puts a good crust on a loaf; a live orchid plant such as Cattleya Hybrida (Kat-lee-a) in bloom for her table, see the internet google orchids, pick a color to match the room or later go in by the spa to get sun and moisture; an African Violet such as "A Summer Parfait" found at http://www.robsviolet.com/standard_violets.htm; a Maxtor One Touch II external drive with one button backup (hacker proof / invasion proof) for her computer, to protect her pictures and internet recipes that can be lost in a computer crash or attack; A Check for $60 to use for the two of you at her favorite restaraunt the next time she is tired and does not feel like cooking.

The Maxtor One Button II External Drive, that offers one button backup, has some system requirements that may make it unsuitable for an older machine. It can operate fine with Windows Home XP but it requires: (1.) a high speed USB or 1394 connection and (2.) your machine clock speed needs to be moving at 500 megs or better. Have your local computer man check your/her machine out first. New USB and 1394 ports can be installed.

I installed one on my older computer with slow USB connections and the clock speed was at 350, not 500 megs per second as recommented. I just backed up 4.5 Mgs and it took six hours; but, it is better than nothing and if I get a new computer later on, it will just work faster.

Cattleya Hybrida picture - www.wickfordorchids.com/C_Hybrida.htm To look at the site. To see all the orchids offered, knock everything after .com off and hit enter.

Great gift ideas -- for a cook or someone who doesn't go near a kitchen. But -- and here's an old wives' tale for you -- my mother always told me it was bad luck to give knives as a gift. That is, bad luck for the person on the receiving end.

I don't endorse that advice, but I do enjoy hearing about old-timey superstitions.