All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. Seena - I just saw your question and the response from Patricia as I overlooked the email notification. Here is my 2 cents - from a long time Frankoma collector: Picture does help, but I found several pictures of the 218 Scalloped Bowl on Ebay. They are common though none in the Rose colors at this time. This glaze is Brown Satin. Besides the book Patricia mentioned, there are other online resources. On Facebook - Frankoma Pottery Fans is strictly for collector's discussions - no buying or selling. There are websites by collectors, but this one is great for references, including colors - frankomacollectors.org. On the FB page, here is one discussion about the difference in the 2 rose glazes and I have included the referenced picture: Here's Desert Rose and Redbud side by side to help show the color difference. Desert Rose was an overspray glaze and much more matte than the Redbud. Redbud can be very light pink, like the scalloped vase on the right, or it could be really dark, close to Desert Rose. When Redbud is glazed darker, the main way to tell the difference is the matte finish and some "orange peel" like texture is Desert Rose, Redbud will be glossy. Redbud was used for several years vs Desert Rose was not used after mid'40s.
  3. Earlier
  4. Hi Seena, I'm sorry I overlooked your May 5 question. I'm embarrassed. I wish you had a photo of the bowl you describe. The book I always use to identify Frankoma (Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery by Gary V. Schaum) pictures almost every piece of Frankoma made up to 1990 -- emphasis on the word almost. The book lists a scalloped, 12-inch bowl with mold number 218, but it is not pictured anywhere in the book. It does state that they began making this bowl in 1942 and was still being made in 1990. Without a photo I cannot determine the exact color and I can't see the back stamp, which would determine approximately when the piece was made. If made of Sapulpa clay, the bowl is worth about $15; however, if made of Ada clay with an early back stamp, it could be worth $35 to $45, depending upon condition and color. If you can manage it, please post a photo of the bowl. I'm very curious as to why it was not included the my "never fail" book. Patricia
  5. Hi all, I found a light pink to rose bowl marked Frankoma 218. I haven't been able to find anything like it on the internet. I would be grateful for any information you could offer.
  6. Hi Claire, You have a #82 6-cup carafe, and I'm certain that glaze is Sunflower Yellow. Frankoma began production on that piece in 1958, so that rules out Ada clay. The carafe was in production for quite a few years and during those years, Sapulpa clay went through several different changes. The piece came with a lid which is not shown in your photo, so I don't know if you have it. The carafe and lid are pictured on page 176 of Gary V. Schaum's book, "Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery," and further described on page 187 with production dates and value estimates ($25-$45) depending upon color and condition. The Schaum book is out of print now, but used copies are often found on ebay and amazon.com. If you're interested in Frankoma, it's invaluable. I hope this helps, and if you have more questions, please let me know. Patricia Mitchell TexasCooking.com
  7. have a yellow carafe, but what shade of yellow is it? Close up it looks a banana with light brown specks. If it's Sunflower Yellow (yellow with brown specks) 1958 - 1960. Ada Clay 1933-1954 Sapulpa Clay ( Brick Red) 1954 -1979 Sapulpa with additives ( Pink) 1980s - The dates aren't adding up for the color & Clay. Please help . Thanks
  8. Thanks for your comment. I, too, love egg dishes, and sometimes serve omelets or just plain bacon and eggs for a quick supper. And thank you for the link you sent concerning electric smokers. I haven't had time yet to scrutinize it, but I'm certainly going to.
  9. My last minute favorite dish is egg omelet because it is easy to make LOL... but i think in dinner it is not a good idea so for dinner so i prefer to smoke or grill meat using my best electric smoker because i love to smoke and grill as i love bbq parties.
  10. Thanks for your reply. However, I have to correct an error I made when I answered you. The correct name of the gold/tan glaze is Desert Gold -- not Prairie Gold. The green glaze is known as Prairie Green. You can get some further information by going to Frankomaland.com at http://www.frankomaland.com/. Click around and I think you can pick up some good info. Patricia
  11. Thank you so much! I is super confusing when you are just starting out. Carrie
  12. Hello, The gold/tan glaze in Frankoma is known as Prairie Gold. "Plainsman" is a style of dinnerware that was produced. Sounds like you have a set of Plainsman dishes in Prairie Gold. Let me know if you have further questions. Patricia
  13. Hi! I'm just getting started and purchased a set of Frankoma dishes at an estate sale. I'm trying to identify it by color such as plainsman gold so I can purchase more pieces in the set. The plates are marked 5F, smaller plates are marked 5X and the serving bowl is 4P. Can someone please help me know what color these are? Thanks so much!
  14. I have a small set of tumblers from my great aunt who was actively house keeping in the 1920s -1960s. I know these were hers because I used them when I visited with her. I've always assumed they were Fiesta ware but they have no markings on the bottom. They have the right style with the ringed tops and colors are in rose, light yellow, turquoise, and light green. However, I've read other people posting the size of their pieces as 3 1/2" tall. These are definitely 4". Top outside diameter is 3" and bottom outside diameter is 2 1/4". Can anyone help me understand what I might have. Thanks so much.
  15. It's an issue of supply and demand. Old pieces are rare. And rare pieces are what avid Frankoma collectors really go for. Frankoma began manufacturing pottery in Oklahoma in the early 1930s. Almost anything made then will drive collectors wild. Pieces made through the 1930s, on through the 1940s and even into the '50s up until Frankoma stopped using Ada clay (I think the supply was mined out) still command good. After that, value falls rapidly, generally speaking. Frankoma collectors have educated themselves on how to spot a valuable piece. There are books with excellent photos, production dates and Frankoma history, if you're interested. I particularly recommend Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery 1933 to 1990 by Gary V. Schaum. I think it's out of print at this time, but new and used copies are available on amazon.com. I just noticed that the original question is dated September 21, 2014, but was posted here just a few hours ago. I hope this information is helpful to anyone with a similar question.
  16. I have lots of Riviera but not much Harlequin. Both patterns, though, are very distinctive. You can tell a lot by just looking at good photographs of pieces -- like on eBay or other sources. On eBay, search for Homer Laughlin Riviera or vintage Riviera or Riviera Century pattern. Or see if you can find a book on collectible American glassware with good photos. I don't recall ever seeing backstamps on the pieces. Remember, Riviera is pretty old -- mostly made in the 30s. Much Riviera/Century is solid colors, but there are also many delightful decal patterns that are extremely collectible, like this Mexicana pattern on HLC century -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homer-Laughlin-Mexicana-Platter-Red-Trim-Nice/113530950704?hash=item1a6ef8d430:g:M0cAAOSwD89bumW0:rk:4:pf:1&frcectupt=true There are dozens of different decals, some of them quite rare. I think Century is one of the most enjoyable patterns to collect because it's not as common as regular Fiesta. When you find something you like, it's exciting. People are always suspecting Fiesta pieces of being "counterfeit" but I think that's rarely happens. I don't think anyone ever attempted to counterfeit Riviera because it was never very valuable until it became collectible. Bear in mind that much of the old dishes made by Homer Laughlin Company was used as enticement to buy certain brands of food. I'm not sure it was Riviera, but I know some HLC dishes came free inside boxes of oatmeal! I just wouldn't worry too much about whether it's authentic or not. Look at it on eBay and see if what you're being offered looks resembles it. I will add that the solid Riviera colors are ivory, red, blue, green and yellow. I think that's all. The decal pieces are on ivory. Hope you find this helpful, and do let me know if you have questions.
  17. I have a chance to purchase a box of vintage fiesta riveria and a few harlequin pieces. None of the pieces have marks on the bottom. Can someone advise me? Was riveria marked? Harlequin? How do I tell if it is authentic? I’ve only collected fiestaware before, not riveria nor harlequin. Thank you.
  18. Sondra - I am also puzzled by your "Frankoma Red Apple cookie jar'. I have reference documents from Frankoma researchers and authors that list all Frankoma pieces. I searched for "apple" and the only thing labeled apple is a ring holder that can also be used as an apple baker. I found a comment in the Facebook Frankoma Pottery Fans group that someone called the 25 series canisters (includes a cookie jar) the apple canisters because they have round knobs on the bottom that looked like apples to them. I tried to Google OtraVia and didn't find any "sale" website that was in English. Good luck in finding your replacement - whether it is Frankoma or not. Jane
  19. Hi Sondra, Can you post a link to the photo you found? I've been collecting Frankoma for years, but I have never seen something called a Frankoma red apple cookie jar. My Frankoma tastes, however, run to the vintage pieces, and perhaps this cookie jar is a newer piece. I would really like to see what you're looking for. I'm sorry your cookie jar is no longer with us. You have my sympathy; it's hard to lose treasured pieces regardless of how they're lost. Patricia
  20. I am desperately looking to replace a Frankoma Red Apple cookie jar that was accidentally broken. I found a picture of it on OtraVia item #2606199988 but cannot figure out how to purchase it. It looks like it may just be a picture from a private collection. Any ideas?
  21. Sorry to hear about that. I know how awful it feels when you lose or break a treasured piece. So here's a shout-out to our readers. If you have or know anyone who has this Frankoma plate: The 1972 University of Oklahoma Seed Sower plate, please let us hear from you. Patricia Mitchell
  22. I'm looking for a commemorative plate made in 1972. It has the University of Oklahoma seed sower on the front. My mother broke hers while moving and is devistated. Thanks
  23. Could someone tell me what these pieces are and if they are worth anything. Found in in-laws house and not sure. Thank you!
  24. My Last Name is Lee and my Family is from OK. So I am just out for as many cups I can find for the family. I will buy any color and pay for shipping
  1. Load more activity