Shortening Vs. Vegetable Oil In Baking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_janetp_*

Guest_janetp_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:40 AM

Hi,
I'm about to try the Red Velvet Cake recipe posted on the site. I notice it calls for shortening. The recipe I've used before is nearly identical, but it uses vegetable oil instead of shortening. And calls for 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil vs 1/2 cup of shortening.
I've been trying to cut out shortening (because of the hydrogenated fats) in my cooking BUT will sacrifice if there really is difference in taste or texture. Because I use a whole bunch of ingredients as a test, can someone tell me if it is, in fact, better to cook with shortening vs. vegetable oil? Also, do you need less shortening than vegetable oil? (the 1/2 cup of shortening vs 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil)
Thanks!

#2 plm555

plm555

Texas Cooking Food Editor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:58 AM

janetp --

Vegetable oil in baked goods like cakes and muffins makes for a very moist result. Shortening produces a high, light texture. However, cup for cup, oil and shortening are not equivalent. It's the millions of tiny gas bubbles in shortening that helps makes the cake light. If you melted the shortening and used that, you would not get the same result.

Our Red Velvet Cake recipe calls for 2-1/4 cups of flour. You said your recipe is almost identical. I don't know if yours calls for 2-1/4 cups of flour but, if it does, 1-1/2 cups of vegetable oil sounds like an awful lot of oil.

I can vouch for our Red Velvet Cake recipe. I've made it numerous times, and it's a good, moist, light cake.

Patricia

#3 lioana

lioana

• Sustaining Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hi, i used to bake a lot but I stopped once I started to get educated abut nutricion, because I found out, that all butter, margerine and shortening are very bad for your health.

Now recently it has occured to me to see if I can replace those fats for vegetable oils and I am just starting to realize that it can be possible in some recipes.

I would appreciate it very very much if u could pass me your recipe of the Red Velvet Cake with vegetable oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users