• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Imabelever

Imabelever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

Can anyone tell me if it's alright to freeze leftover chicken and beef fajitas with onions and peppers? I have a "ton" leftover from a party this weekend. Also, if anyone has any recipes for these other than fajitas, I'd love to know!! Thanks for all your help.

#2 plm555

plm555

Texas Cooking Food Editor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

My initial reaction is that the fajitas would be soggy when defrosted and reheated. I've never tried this, but maybe other readers have. You could try it with one, and then check out the results.

As for other recipes, I don't know of any that call for fajitas already made up. Perhaps you could invent a casserole or 9x13-inch-type dish containing layers of fajitas with some kind of thickened taco sauce in between. You could call it Fajita Lasagna.

I'm calling on our creative readers to come up with something better.

I don't blame you for not wanting to waste good food. It's a shame.

#3 MrsB

MrsB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

I have frozen leftover fajitas several times. They are a little dry when you defrost, I season a little chicken broth and add to them. I also make "White Chile" the fajitas give it a great taste.
Hope this helps!

#4 BigApotrack

BigApotrack

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, especially Tex-Mex and grilling.

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

I have frozen leftover fajitas many times. I roll the meat, onions, peppers, and a little cheese in a flour tortilla, tucking in both ends, then roll tightly in plastic wrap. After rolling and wrapping all the fajitas, I place them in a zipper-type freezer bag. We then take out one at a time and defrost slowly in the microwave and heat just until warm. Then remove the plastic wrap (you may have to cut it off) and enjoy.

I have heard different things about using plastic wrap in the microwave and do not know what the final word is, but we have never had any problems and it does not effect the taste of the food; of course, that may depend on the brand used. I use the restaurant quality, Food Service plastic wrap sold at the local club warehouse store.

I have used this method of freezing fajitas for several years and it also works well with sausage and biscuits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users