• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

:blush: The sign is still up for the old restaurant on the Old Dallas Highway in Waco for some of the best fried 'chikin' ever. Everyone thinks I am nutso when I put honey on hot fried chicken, but have you ever noticed? All chicken places (including franchises of all kinds) have honey. Underpaid underlings think it is for the biscuits, but I know better. Honey is for pouring over a steaming hot drum stick, trying to get it to your mouth before it pours off the bottom and leaves burns on your chin. *sigh* Does anyone out there have a recipe for it? Please help a poor Texas girl who would like to recover a bit of her childhood!! Also looking for those cruchie things they had at the old Hickory Stick, also gone forever, Oh, and while we're at it, those super delicoioso steak fingers at Kim's Drive in.

#2 PaulaDeanWannaBe

PaulaDeanWannaBe

• Sustaining Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:38 PM

Shaianin, I wish I had those recipes too!!
If you are in Waco, the library has 2 cookbooks with several "Old Waco" recipes in them!! "Hearts and Flours" by The Junior League, and "The Hamilton House Cookbook"!! If I can find my disks where I copied them I will post them.
Waco used to have some really good eatin' places!! Too bad none of the recipes were kept by family members!!

#3 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

:P No longer in Waco,now in LONGHORN Country! How 'bout that baseball team!! I wonder if an email to the Waco paper would help.... Paula, if you find those cookbooks, I would love to have a copy of each. Send to Shaianin "at" aim.com. I have found that this website, er...Texas Cooking has some wonderful stuff!! HEB has some good stuff too on it for Texas stuff. I have been thinking about that chikin ;-) I wonder if they used pancake mix for the breading?

#4 PaulaDeanWannaBe

PaulaDeanWannaBe

• Sustaining Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

AWESOME baseball team!! Best games I've seen in a long time!! There are more Longhorns up here than Baylor Bears!!
I tried contacting the paper several years ago and all they have is the barbecue sauce recipe from Crestwood that was on the corner of Hillcrest and Lake Air.
Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I can find for you. I have over 7500 disks of recipes, so it may take a few minutes!! If I can't find the disks, I will check the books out at the library and post from them!!

#5 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 01:51 PM

:food-smiley: OMG...did you get that recipe for the Crestwood bbq sauce??? I haven't checked my posts in forever...I would love to have that one! Used to stop there for barbque turkey sandwiches on the way out to Airport Park!!

#6 Karen

Karen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

Leslie, your Waco fried chicken sounds so very familiar to the fried chicken served at Meyer's in Amarillo. It was the best fried chicken ever. They too served honey with the chicken -=- without having to ask if you wanted it. If someone comes up with the receipe, I wish they would share it.

#7 geebart

geebart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:25 AM

:blush: The sign is still up for the old restaurant on the Old Dallas Highway in Waco for some of the best fried 'chikin' ever. Everyone thinks I am nutso when I put honey on hot fried chicken, but have you ever noticed? All chicken places (including franchises of all kinds) have honey. Underpaid underlings think it is for the biscuits, but I know better. Honey is for pouring over a steaming hot drum stick, trying to get it to your mouth before it pours off the bottom and leaves burns on your chin. *sigh* Does anyone out there have a recipe for it? Please help a poor Texas girl who would like to recover a bit of her childhood!! Also looking for those cruchie things they had at the old Hickory Stick, also gone forever, Oh, and while we're at it, those super delicoioso steak fingers at Kim's Drive in.

no, I don't have those recipes, but I remember going to Leslie's as a special Sunday treat. We had to drive over from Hubbard. However, I do have the recipe for George's Chef Special Dressing. :

#8 Texas Red

Texas Red

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

Leslie's Fried Chicken was my favorite restaurant when I was growing up in Waco. And I loved the honey! Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory for me. I'm sorry I don't have the recipe but it's very similar to my mother-in-law's breading recipe. She soaks the chicken pieces in buttermile overnight, dredges them in flour with salt and pepper, dips them fresh buttermilk and dredges them again and fries everything in about 2" of Crisco. Now I'm hungry!

#9 Bevie

Bevie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

I'm not from Waco, but still would love those recipes. Please and thank you!

#10 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

:huh: Ok, People, still haven't gotten the recipe.....Maybe someone has the recipe for Youngblood's??? Very similar...although I hear there is a restaurant near the Sportatorium in Dallas downtown area that is using the Leslie's recipe. Not a great part of town, but supposedly limos pull up with people in formal wear coming by for a late night dinner....Keep looking! Anyone got old Waco cookbooks lying around? Wouldn't mind having the old Kim's Drive in recipe for steak fingers as well!

#11 slw13

slw13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:55 PM

There were also Leslie's in Corpus Christi and Austin (perhaps some other Texas cities?). I remember eating at the one in Waco on trips from Corpus to Dallas back in the 60s. We used to go eat at the one in Corpus during the 60s when I was a kid. I believe it was on Leopard Drive, but hard to remember. I *think* that the guy who owns Threadgills in Austin may have one of the Leslie's signs. He collects old stuff like that and has a "museum" of old Texas restaurant signs and memorabilia behind the Threadgills on Lamar in Austin.

I do have a question for you Wacoites: Does anyone remember a BBQ place near downtown that basically served up nothing but beef? I went to a place like that while visiting in the early 70s, but don't remember a name or exact place.

#12 llfost

llfost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Leslie, your Waco fried chicken sounds so very familiar to the fried chicken served at Meyer's in Amarillo. It was the best fried chicken ever. They too served honey with the chicken -=- without having to ask if you wanted it. If someone comes up with the receipe, I wish they would share it.

And the chicken gravy served on the mashed potatoes at Meyer's in Amarillo. I still love honey on my chicken and have been searching to no avail for that sumptuos gravy. Please...someone has to have a recipe.

#13 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

I do have a question for you Wacoites: Does anyone remember a BBQ place near downtown that basically served up nothing but beef? I went to a place like that while visiting in the early 70s, but don't remember a name or exact place.

yeah, maybe it's the Hickory Stick? Off of 19th, close to the campus of McLennan Community College? It's long gone as well.... :titanic:

#14 slw13

slw13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

yeah, maybe it's the Hickory Stick? Off of 19th, close to the campus of McLennan Community College? It's long gone as well.... :titanic:

seems nothing lasts anymore. i do have some news about Leslie's, however. I contacted Eddie Wilson, proprietor of Threadgill's here in Austin (former proprietor of the Armadillo World Headquarters). He gave me the name of Joe Ables, whose family was supposedly instrumental in building the Leslie's chain. Joe is now the owner of the Saxon Pub here in Austin. I have not been able to reach him yet (guess I'll have to go over to the Pub and chase him down), but I will try to follow up and see if he can offer insights to the recipe for the chicken. Maybe I can talk him into publishing it or something. I'll post more when I find out.

#15 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yay!! Other news on this front, got a contact from a guy from Ft Worth who lives in northern climes who has done some detective work on the recipe thru some contacts in Waco, and we may have something there as well!!! Whoohoo!! Posted this in '05 and gettin' some results!! Ask Joe if he can get some passes?? ;-) :mango:

#16 squish24

squish24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

no, I don't have those recipes, but I remember going to Leslie's as a special Sunday treat. We had to drive over from Hubbard. However, I do have the recipe for George's Chef Special Dressing. :

From Hubbard? Did u know Matt Morris who played football there in the 1980s?

#17 Shaianin

Shaianin

• Sustaining Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

Still no recipes, someone out there has to have it!!!

#18 love2grill

love2grill

• Sustaining Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I love to visit the beach, go hiking, camping, fishing, cooking, and baking.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

I'm not from Waco either but I would love some of those recipes as well! :P

#19 Andy

Andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

I am not from Waco either, I am from Israel but still would like to have the recipe.
Somebody, anybody, please. Thanks.

#20 Longhorn

Longhorn

• Sustaining Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:25 PM

Would you rather eat honey or bbq sauce with your chicken?

Hi, I work with Miracle Whip and we have a great competition on our Facebook page. It’s called Take a stand. We’re challenging everyone to come take a stand for what they believe in. You can share your opinions at Facebook.com/MiracleWhip and see what others have to say.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users